• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picky Parrotlet

ParrotK545

Moving in
Hey all! I've never used this site before, so please let me know if I did something incorrectly.
So I have a piggy yet picky garbage-gut parrotlet on my hands...I've tried so many different types of chop to incorporate into his diet, and he eats his main food perfectly fine... But, when it comes to fresh greens/vegetables/anything healthy- He'll turn his beak up like an offended toddler without even giving it a chance. I've tried blending things, so he has no choice but to pick through things, but then he just won't eat it. He is my first bird, but I've consulted friends and family with previous bird experience about it, and we need more ideas. Any recommendations on specific healthy vegetables/fruits/greens I should try? Or ways I can fool him into at least TRYING new healthy things? :laughing2:

All help is appreciated!<3

Ps I did check out the pinned thread "Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips", but unfortunately none of it applied to my particular case.

Last edited:

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Corn and peas and beans in the pod with the pod opened to show the seeds are a big hit. Cherry tomatoes cut to show the seeds. Broccoli florets with seed stuff in. Maybe just stick some things thru the cage wires or put on a bird kebab.

Or eat it and don’t share. Ignore him and munch your broccoli.

ParrotK545

Moving in
Corn and peas and beans in the pod with the pod opened to show the seeds are a big hit. Cherry tomatoes cut to show the seeds. Broccoli florets with seed stuff in. Maybe just stick some things thru the cage wires or put on a bird kebab.

Or eat it and don’t share. Ignore him and munch your broccoli.
I've been doing this- And it worked to an extent... Now he takes a bite or two of it, but each time shakes his head and spits it out :laugh:

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Well, my Quaker does throw tomato around but I noticed a lot gets in the bird, too. If I give him half a cherry tomato there’s usually just the skin left. Which is quite a big of tomato to have gone into the Quaker or been thrown.

My Quaker is scared of new things though that doesn’t usually go for food. We had to share his Harrison’s pellets until he would eat them. He came to me on a seed diet.

(I’m enjoying the phrase “turn his beak up”.)