• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picky Paco, need advice

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's quite a routine!
Yes, we've worked really hard on it. He is such a good boy & I think his work keeps him from getting bored. I also think that it helps some of his agression, he's a little mischevious green guy sometimes. If he's thinking of steps he has to take to get things done, he's not thinking about exactly how hard & exactly where it will hurt his human to nibble on say an earlobe...
( Usually enough to hurt but luckily not to mar )

So, I... like most Zon owners will pick education & action over injury any day. Lol

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh rain what a beautiful bird. Here is Paco this morning, beet pasta veggie, broccoli and seasame seeds for breakfast. You guys have taught me well. I snuck in rhe seeds onto the warm damp pasta. Probably can't see in the photo, but he has broccoli (something he loved, now throws on floor) and seasame seeds (something he avoids) stuck to his beak. He cracks me up!

Attachments

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh rain what a beautiful bird. Here is Paco this morning, beet pasta veggie, broccoli and seasame seeds for breakfast. You guys have taught me well. I snuck in rhe seeds onto the warm damp pasta. Probably can't see in the photo, but he has broccoli (something he loved, now throws on floor) and seasame seeds (something he avoids) stuck to his beak. He cracks me up!
If you decide to sprout, Seseme Seeds are easy to sneak in to the food especially if you add in the 3 heart smart seeds, I often make them my 4th topper. Because the sprouts are damp, & if you add an herb or organic tea (always check for parrot safety), a little extra water helps & sort of makes a soup that's really yummy (for Buddy anyway). I bet Paco gets into Broccoli again. Sometimes the groceries in the store sit for to long & parrots just seem to know when its not @ its freshest & Thud it lands on the cage or stand floor or worse your floor.

How's the job going? You mentioned (I thought) it's only for another month. I assume it's a temp. job... If so, call them & tell them to start looking for you again, that you don't want to be w/out work. I used to work w/ a temp. agency & most people don't know you can do that. You still may go off for a bit, but it tells them that your interested & (another thing) your interested in temp to permenant... if they have it. You never know where they could place you, it could be someplace w/ great benefits. It happened to me (was supposed to be a few weeks), 6 mos. later they hired me, it is possible. :hug1:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
20190718_164101.jpg

This was Buddy in the middle of July after a good bath. I like how the flash made the feathers on the back of his neck area glisten/sparkle.

Pacos pic looked very relaxed. Even though you will have a honeymoon period w/ him for awhile (a year minimum) he seems to be trusting you so much! Keep up the good work Mom!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Rain Bow What is the honeymoon period? Buddy is absolutely gorgeous.

I started temping with Manpower in August. I am not impressed. The manager met me in a parking.lot for drug screen and background test. The recruiter that contacted about the job "is no longer with the company" 3 days after I started working
I agreed to a 60 cent pay cut that turned out to be a 1.60 and the job was to last til the end of the year, Friday is my last day, they couldn't get my password to.work so I could get.paid and now I can't get in touch with the manager. I'm not having a.good day.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Honey! I'm sorry!

Manpower always paid the most when I was a temp. But that's going bk almost :omg:20 yrs! Gettin old! :lol:Maybe go to a few more temp agencies. Sometimes they'll get competative w/ your pay if they find out your wking w/ other agencies. They get a ton of extra $ to have company X hire you too. Most people don't know that.

I'm behind on my dang alerts again as a few of us have been involved in something in the PM world of the site. How did your last day go?
The 1st year or more of a bird is the Honeymoon period. It starts w/ the bird being scared of everything. Slowly, like Paco they begin to get their trust up w/ their owner. If the owners doing a good job of gaining their trust... They'll forgive little things done incorrectly & bite for things where they feel the owner has overstepped. They're actually training you. Thru all of this they watch you, I don't think they miss an eye movement or cringe that you may not realize your body is even doing.

Then the testing you phase goes on. Like a 3 yr old they will test you, watch you for reactions & movements (again you may not realize the movements are happening) by your body & voice but, the birdy does. They're still training you. They will continue doing things wrong just to watch you over react & be loud. For them this is almost fun!

This is why we say: Do Absolutely nothing for the bad things they do & Only reward the positive instead. This is where you're training them.

After a year-year & a half... Honeymoon's basically over. You still have an opportunity to correct bad behaviors (maybe not realizing it) you've actually trained this fid to do. Problem is: It's now going to take that much more persistance & perseverance to correct a bad behavior you trained them to do.

I'm not 100 % sure that this is what actually happens in their (birds) minds but it's the best way "I, in my mind" know how to break it down & explain it to someone else.

I hope if I'm way off track here someone will correct what I wrote so you understand it properly.