• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picky eaters

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Any suggestions for picky eaters? Lada (Female Eclectus) gets a huge variety of fresh fruits and veggies every day. Originally when I first got her (and still today really) I would completely fill up her bowl. I know she will not eat everything, but since some days she seems to only want one particular thing I always make sure to put in enough so she has plenty of that favorite to eat. She does a pretty good job of rotating favorites, but she tends to stick to one or two items each day. She always has pellets in her cage as a fall back and she usually will go for those last or if she doesn't see anything on the fresh food menu for the day that she likes. I want to try to start dialing back the amount of food I give to her to cut back on waste. Particularly the smell of old fruit in the garbage. Yes I could just start with a smaller amount and then fill her up again once she finishes a first serving and perhaps thats the only solution. How do all of you deal with portion sizes, making sure they get enough fruits and veggies, and then disposing of the waste to avoid that fruity musty smell?

Here is an example of her daily fresh food tray followed by obligatory cute pictures.

5719.jpg
5909.jpg
5992.jpg

Reactions: Jas

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's a cutie. It actually sounds like she's a good little eater. I wish my cockatoo would eat fresh foods like that.