• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picky Eater

Maticky

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debra
Hi I have a blue and gold macaw, who is approximately 50 years old. I have had him for seven years. His name is Oscar, and I love him very much. He is so funny! My concern with him is that I have been trying for years to get him off of seeds, but it has been very difficult. I need help with changing him to a good quality pellet. Can someone tell me what is a good pellet that I can get for him? I live between Gilroy and Merced, CA.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Debra and Oscar! :starshower1:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Oscar! :)

Converting any mature bird of any species from seeds to pellets will be quite the challenge. We've had success converting tiels, 'toos, (notoriously finicky eaters ;)) budgies, and a conure from all seed to pellet/seed eaters...although I believe Buddy the Conure would eat ANYTHING we fed her. The budgies eat 70% seed/30% pellet base diet...the tiels 70% pellet/30% seed diet...Milton da Too...100% pellets. This is in addition to chop, a few nuts, rice/pasta, etc.

We use Zupreem Fruity Pellets...and have for years.

All of that doesn't really help you any, I know...so my suggestion would be to try the leading brands...and good luck!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
50 years old. WOW!! Harrison's is often suggested by vets, but many birds won't touch it. I'd suggest Zupreem Natural large parrot. At his age you should stay low on sugars & artificial colors. It won't be easy getting him to eat pellets. You should cut back on the seed mix slowly, but you also don't want to stop seed mix totally. Some seed mix in his diet is OK. I'd start by giving him pellets in the morning, along with a little seed mix, & other regular foods at night. Remove all food from his cage before you go to bed. That way he'll be hungry in the morning when you give him the pellets. You can also offer the pellets wet & see if he likes them better that way. Also offer veggies like cooked sweet potatoes & carrots, peas, corn, any greens, etc., or what ever you can get him to eat & some occasional fruit, again late day/evening. Offer veggies that are higher in Vitamin A. Use only fresh or frozen veggies, never canned. This will take time & once you get him eating them you can change up what foods you fed at what time of the day. I'm trying to get my soon to be 21 year old B&G Macaw to eat less nuts & more pellets. She seems to prefer eating more pellets in the morning hours than the rest of the day.