• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picky Bird!!

Ringo295

Moving in
So my Indian ringneck, Ringo, is a very picky eater. I offer him some seeds and fresh vegetables every day. I switch up what kind of vegetables and fruits I give him, but he never touches them. I have even put sunflower seeds in the veggie mix so he could maybe have a taste of the vegetables while he is trying to get his favorite seed. It doesn’t work. He also only eats sunflower and safflower seeds and sometimes oat groats from his seed mixture. I don’t know what to do, he isn’t starving, but clearly he isn’t meeting his nutritional requirements. I also put supplements in his seed mixture, but since he is picky I doubt he is eating any of it. I can’t have him take it out of my hand because he isn’t used to touch or me being too close to him either. Ugh i don’t know what to do lol.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
To get him on veggies, I’d recommend trying mashing up some sweet potato/butternut/acorn squash and mixing seed into it. This may not work with all birds though.

Have you offered him any pellets before?

I also make my birds Birdie-bread. It has always worked.
I use coconut or almond flour as the base, though you could swap out half or all of the flour with pellet powder.
This is my recipe:
2/3 cup almond/coconut flour. Or 1/3 if pellet powder is used.
1 cup chop. (Any variety of veg can be used)
1 egg
Grease a bird safe pan with coconut oil and cook at 350° for 20-35 min. Check with toothpick every 10-15 min.
I over simplified the recipe, leaving out extras I added. Since your bird will only eat seeds, I would add lots of seed to encourage him.

For something less complex, you could get him a stainless steel skewer and skewer lots of different veggies to see if he’ll be tempted.
You could also try steaming or boiling the veggies to mush.

Will he try fruit? It’s a great place to start!