• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pickpocket Got A Collar

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Pickpocket got an Elizabethan collar fitted on her this morning.

We are hoping it will stop her from picking under her wing until it heals enough for the collar to be removed. For those who don't know, Pickpocket has Polyfolliculitis. Every time new feather growth comes in she promptly chews it off because it is itchy. So this is basically a very mean way of forcing her to stop chewing her feathers, because the more she chews the itchier it will get! Once the feathers are in then it shouldn't be itchy anymore and then the collar can be removed. We just need to get to that point. :(

Right now she looks very depressed. :( However, she has finally stopped trying to get the collar off.

I need any tips on how I can make her life a little more comfortable, please.

Do I use shallow or deep bowls for food and water? I've hung some miller sprays in her cage so that she has easy access to food, but I don't know how she will drink water.

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Aw.. poor girl :(
I hope it can come off her soon, can't be that comfortable!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Aww the poor dear!! She looks so sad! Oh well, for her own good - too bad you cant explain that to her.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I really have no idea what to do if a bird has a collar like that. Did the vet recommend a cage set up?
My instinct says make her a small cage with low perches. Completely safe so that collar doesn't get caught on anything. I remember a story about a bird whose collar got stuck on something :(

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Poor girl. :( When we fit that type of collar on budgies at work we sometimes put it so that it bends down (more like a bib than a bucket). If it was fitted right she shouldn't be able to reach her feathers still, but it'll make it easier for her to stick her head into food/water bowls. You should be able to face the collar down without having to take it off her if you want to give that a go. :)

Lynne

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lynne
I use a tube collar since Squeaky can reach just about anywhere with the cone style, if I can find a picture of him with it on I will post it. If a collar is going to be a long time remedy you may want to consider getting Pickpocket a water bottle. Squeaky aspirated his drinking water with his collar on ...talk about freaked out!
For me it is really hard to use a collar of any kind my lovebird fights it until he can't fight anymore then goes right back at it.
I moved all the perches and toys down low and I keep a towel for padding on the grate (of course I shook it out several times a day.)
I wish you and Pickpocket all the best :hug8:

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Aw, poor girl.

Two of my lovies have polyfolliculitis and have had to wear collars. Leyla only wore hers a short time when she mutilated; Kermit wears his most of the time because he is still mutilating otherwise.

I put them on how Bea was describing, it really does make it a lot easier for them to move around. Kermit has no problem eating/drinking from bowls (shallow or deep), and he can even fly with his cone on.

I haven't had to do any cage rearranging for my lovies when they've worn the collars; they get around quite well when they get used to it. I would see how Pickpocket does with moving around and then see if you have to rearrange perches/etc.

Thankfully both Leyla and Kermit tolerate the collars fine, hopefully Pickpocket will, too.

I'd also like to add that even when the feathers are all grown in, she still might pick. Both Kermit and Leyla do, since even though they aren't itchy pinfeathers anymore, there are still multiple feathers in the follicles, which is irritating for the bird. Is she mutilating as well, or just picking?

Attachments

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, poor Pickpocket! Hope the collar comes off soon!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Aww. Poor Pickpocket. Hope her feathers grow in quick and she's able to loose the collar.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor baby. Hope he can get it off soon.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Quick update for Pickpocket as she visited the avian vet today for a check-up.

The vet is very impressed with her progress! She has A LOT of new feathers growing in under her wing and the tissue swelling has gone down quite a bit. After examining her feathers, the vet could find none that needed to be pulled. :D

We will keep her collar on for another 2 weeks until all the new feathers are fully grown in. After that we will gradually take her collar off for about 30 minutes a day and supervise her.

Eventually (hopefully) her collar can come off fully. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.