• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picking up a pheasant next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
Nest weekend I am going to pick up a male golden or lady amherst pheasant for my indoor aviary/birdroom! He will have plenty of room to scrach and strut and roost etc. I have been wanting to get one forever! I used to raise them a long time ago along with several chicken breeds and turkeys, doves. There is someone who just raises these two species not too far from me. They are used to people somewhat, so hopefully he will settle down okay. I'll get some pics once I get him home!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow congratulations...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cant wait to see the pics! Conrats!

Onyxena

Real Name
Morgan
Thanks, I am excited. I LOVE pheasants, they are so easy compared to parrots. I am getting him next Sunday. I am hoping for an Amherst but love the Goldens too!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I don't know the difference. Can you post pics? :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
that's awesome! I can't wait to hear more about him!

Onyxena

Real Name
Morgan
Well I drove 2 and a half hours to central PA for my bird! My hubby ;and daughter came along too. THe guy that raises them had this cozy quaint cabin out in the woods and several pheasant runs in the back. I wanted to stay and visit all day! It was so hard to choose one bird out of the many. The mature males were strutting and displaying their awesomeness, and a female Amherst kept following us and asking for treats! She was so cute, but I really wanted a male for the colors, plus I think the guy was very attatched to her. Now I really want to build a couple pheasant runs in my backyard.........
Anyways, I finally chose a young male Lady Amherst! He is pretty plain now, but some of the tail feathers are growing in and his black and white cape feathers are just starting to grow. By next fall he will be stunning! It will be really neat to watch him change over the next few months.
He settled in very well, my macaws showed little interest in him, and the doves and finches didn't even seem to notice. Even the crimson bellied conure just kinda looked and went back to her business. He has full run of my indoor aviary/birdroom, whick is very large, and seemed to be just checking it all out. He has been really enjoying all the goodies the macaws drop from their play areas! Iwent in yesterday when it was getting dark and he was roosting about 3 feet from my GW macaw! He is fairly tame and will eat from my hand already. Will put up pics later!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:omg:FANTASTIC!
My first encounter with a Golden male was trying to catch him...watching him fly was like watching "liquid" gold in the sun!
Looking forward to the pictures!
Is the run going to have "netting" over the top to keep out the hawks/owls etc?????:hug8:

Onyxena

Real Name
Morgan
This is an indoor bird for now, no predators can get to him! He is going to be a house pheasant:) My indoor room is about40'x20' with 12' ceiling,so plenty of room for him to walk around and roost. The finches are various zebra mutations, two diamond doves, two cockatiels, and my crimson bellied conure are all full flighted and live in this room. The macaws have large play areas where they spend much of their day. But maybe someday I will build a couple pens for more pheasants! Don't worry, I have lots of experience with keeping them outdoors.
I think we are calling him Edward Amherst for now:) just seems to fit. He is soooo neat to watch, very quiet and undemanding. Here are some pics of what he looks like now, and how he will look once he molts into his adult feathering!

Onyxena

Real Name
Morgan
These are not my actual bird, but the same species. Having camera issues! The bottom one is how he looks now. He is only about 6 months, takes about a year before he gets his full coloring.

Attachments

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
WOW! Dosent look real does he?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood