• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picking between the two

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
Hey guys so I was breeding ringnecks, and recently we had three babies jn a clutch. We gave one (Lutino) away and we kept the two (grey, and pallid blue). In the beginning we were only gonna keep one, wich was the blue (because of her colour and her affection). At first the main reason why we couldn’t give up on both blue and grey was because we realized how affectionate grey was and during that period of time blue started becoming more independent. So we said well keep blue because she’s gorgeous and well keep grey because she’s playfull and affectionate. But than we started to realize that my mom’s allergies have gotten worse when there’s more than one bird, so now i have to give up on one of my babies. They are only 3 months old . So my concern is : I CANNOT CHOSEE. They both have their ups and downs. Grey is playful and funny also sometimes cuddly and doesnt always bite hard. Blue is sometimes cuddly and affectionate and does bite hard, but is also pretty. So my question to you guys is : what do you think i should do?
Should i keep blue thinking her attitude will be better and may be playful when she’s alone and more bonded, or should I keep grey for her playfullness and sweetness and hope she becomes more cuddly as well and give up on blue for grey’s character? I feel like grey is more smart. I also have the fact that grey is being very closely taken care of by my sister and i am thinking she might be bonded to her too wich gets me thinking that i should keep blue hahah.
BUT IT IS SOO HARDD THEYRE BIRH MY BABIES.
Long story short they both are almost same and I don’t know what I should consider as more important to look in a bird. Playfulness? Cuddlines? Or color Can these change or is it character? If it can change i might aswell pick blue right?
I feel like either way im gonna regret the choice I’ve made loll
Please help and give advice
Thank youu

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A bird that is bonded to you now as a baby might choose a different family member at maturity. But personality is hard to understand how it will change. Adult humans are certainly not exactly like they were when they were children, but the personality in my opinion takes seed as babies and blooms from there.

Basically it's anyone's guess

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
What do you value more in the bird: Colour, or having it be your friend? If you want a companion bird, I would say keep grey, (his/her attitude may change as s/he gets older, but it's a better bet), but if you really love the blue colour and don't care so much about it being a companion bird then keep blue!
Also, if you really love the blue colour then maybe you could breed it again one day and get another blue baby! (that is if you plan on breeding again)
Or, maybe one of blue and grey's parents is already blue. Then you have a blue bird and can just keep the nicer bird!

This must be such a hard decision for you, and you will probably miss the other one either way. But you do need to make this decision for yourself, and I hope you can do it easily. Also, don't feel bad about giving the other one up!

Or let me recommend that you keep Grey. Does that make you feel sad in your gut, and do you really not want to? Then keep blue! Or if you feel okay with keeping grey, then do that. Pretending that you are keeping one and giving up the other can sometimes help you find out which one you subconsciously would prefer to keep.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s all gonna be chance at this stage with whichever bird you go with… they’re too young to know what their adult behaviour and personality will be like. The one that is affectionately playful may change completely. What you see in these birds now is not what you’ll see and have in a few years.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Difficult call. I would probably keep both of them. I kept all of the red-bellied babies from Ricky's and Lucy's clutches. :D

Ira B

Meeting neighbors
Personality definitely can change. I got Charlie April 27 and he was "tame" when I got him. He would step up and step down especially if you had a treat. When he was on you he would start nipping all over. Any wrinkle or crease in my clothes, and he would go after my fingers and nip pretty hard, drawing slight blood at times. My hands are pretty tough so I did not flinch that would excite a bird more. Now after about 5 weeks of constant treat giving, distractions, short timeouts, and a lot of contact with him, he almost never nips at my hands any more and will let me pet him most of the time. He is a VERY active bird and I think that contributes to his "playful" nipping on my clothes still. Screenshot_20210604-183031.jpg

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
Personality definitely can change. I got Charlie April 27 and he was "tame" when I got him. He would step up and step down especially if you had a treat. When he was on you he would start nipping all over. Any wrinkle or crease in my clothes, and he would go after my fingers and nip pretty hard, drawing slight blood at times. My hands are pretty tough so I did not flinch that would excite a bird more. Now after about 5 weeks of constant treat giving, distractions, short timeouts, and a lot of contact with him, he almost never nips at my hands any more and will let me pet him most of the time. He is a VERY active bird and I think that contributes to his "playful" nipping on my clothes still. View attachment 385128
Difficult call. I would probably keep both of them. I kept all of the red-bellied babies from Ricky's and Lucy's clutches. :D
It’s all gonna be chance at this stage with whichever bird you go with… they’re too young to know what their adult behaviour and personality will be like. The one that is affectionately playful may change completely. What you see in these birds now is not what you’ll see and have in a few years.
What do you value more in the bird: Colour, or having it be your friend? If you want a companion bird, I would say keep grey, (his/her attitude may change as s/he gets older, but it's a better bet), but if you really love the blue colour and don't care so much about it being a companion bird then keep blue!
Also, if you really love the blue colour then maybe you could breed it again one day and get another blue baby! (that is if you plan on breeding again)
Or, maybe one of blue and grey's parents is already blue. Then you have a blue bird and can just keep the nicer bird!

This must be such a hard decision for you, and you will probably miss the other one either way. But you do need to make this decision for yourself, and I hope you can do it easily. Also, don't feel bad about giving the other one up!

Or let me recommend that you keep Grey. Does that make you feel sad in your gut, and do you really not want to? Then keep blue! Or if you feel okay with keeping grey, then do that. Pretending that you are keeping one and giving up the other can sometimes help you find out which one you subconsciously would prefer to keep.
Ok thank you guys so much i still cant choose loll i feel like grey is more affectionate and smart amd blue is biting alot but i still cant give up of the color soo it just frustrates me , grey almost never bites hard but blue always does

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal

Thank you so much . Tbh i tried pretending but it didnt work lol i cant feel it. and i feel like i would be betraying the blue one if i give it away cuz it feels like we dont give her a chance to show herself and just judge by the way of showing her affection, and seems not fair , but at the same time i do have to make a decision and giving up on grey seems like hes being betrayed for stupid reasons ( as in not trying to betray blue) and it seems like a stupid decision, cuz hes actually affectionate and smart. And i cant keep them together any longer otherwise they will not be tame.
hahaha its soo hard I keep thinking and thinking but every other second i change my mind on which one to keep.
I wish someone could force me to keep one and that way i wouldn’t be feeling the regret later on .

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
And the fact that they both have their sweet time s makes it even harder and it makes you think “ oh see shes cute too so if you give her a chance she can be like that”

Gigibirds

I wish someone could force me to keep one and that way i wouldn’t be feeling the regret later on
I understand....I wish I could help you more! Don't feel bad either way though - you can only keep one, so it's not your fault that you have to give up the other one. Good luck making this hard decision!

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Maybe Grey? I don't think looks is that important

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
Update blue doesnt bite anymore only sometimes and its still hard lol
But he stays on me and grey doesnt as much

Zulal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Zulal
I understand....I wish I could help you more! Don't feel bad either way though - you can only keep one, so it's not your fault that you have to give up the other one. Good luck making this hard decision!
Yeah thank you so much

Gigibirds

Oh well if blue is getting nicer and grey not so much I would say blue! You do prefer blue's colour after all.....