• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Picasso is sick.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Yeah, I did, but she was having trouble breathing in the heat, because she also has the chilld and is fluffed up, so I had to turn it down again :(

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Update- Emailed my father to see when the vet appt was. Here is his email (it reveals basically nothing and he gave permission):

Yes Ollie. It's at 5:00 today so I'll pick [younger sister's name] up earlier then pick you up, and we'll head up there.

The D (what he has apparently started calling himself lol)

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
So...
Bad news, Picasso may have pneumonia, and she has antibiotics to help. PS I blurred all needles for anyone who’s afraid of them.
ACE63284-8AA6-4177-B265-98A98AB3B5A0.jpeg

FC91501F-5DC9-4E1A-84CE-E427A2F72952.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The good news is you know and she has medication :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hope she responds quickly and is better very soon.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
She just took her first dosage like a champ! If she isn't better by Saturday, we're going to the vet to get a different prescription.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She just took her first dosage like a champ! If she isn't better by Saturday, we're going to the vet to get a different prescription.
I do not think you should mix prescriptions- antibiotics given without the full course taken is not ever a good idea and neither is messing about with stopping and starting medications. Most of them need time to start working anyway and Saturday may not be enough time for the meds to have made much change.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I do not think you should mix prescriptions- antibiotics given without the full course taken is not ever a good idea and neither is messing about with stopping and starting medications. Most of them need time to start working anyway and Saturday may not be enough time for the meds to have made much change.
The full course is until Saturday. Baytril can cause complications, so the vet doesn't want to continue it if it's not working.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Agreed^^^^ otherwise you can make antibiotic resistant bugs that can hit worse then the first time.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The full course is until Saturday. Baytril can cause complications, so the vet doesn't want to continue it if it's not working.
Makes sense- it just sounds like an extremely short course of antibiotics to me. I am glad you got her to the vet and you were also able to go.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Makes sense- it just sounds like an extremely short course of antibiotics to me. I am glad you got her to the vet and you were also able to go.
Thank you, he will consider continuing Baytril if she only needs a little more after 10 days is up.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you, he will consider continuing Baytril if she only needs a little more after 10 days is up.
Now I am confused! 10 days is normally what I hear of for antibiotics but from when your little one started it till Saturday is not 10 days- did I miss something or did I possibly need more coffee?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Now I am confused! 10 days is normally what I hear of for antibiotics but from when your little one started it till Saturday is not 10 days- did I miss something or did I possibly need more coffee?
Got me too :think1:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When we´ve been given meds with antibiotics, my vet always tells me to check in with him after 3 days (unless we notice turns for the worse obviously). It must be a good time to observe improvement. With Adelies recent antibiotics, anti inflammatory and metacam, he told me to check back in three days, and I didn´t see any change for the first two days, however on the third day I noticed improvement.

So I´m thinking OPs vet just wants to check in on saturday, and not per se to stop giving the meds. Though obviously I could be wrong, but as they said about 10 days, that seems to be what´s happening here;
he will consider continuing Baytril if she only needs a little more after 10 days is up.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
When we´ve been given meds with antibiotics, my vet always tells me to check in with him after 3 days (unless we notice turns for the worse obviously). It must be a good time to observe improvement. With Adelies recent antibiotics, anti inflammatory and metacam, he told me to check back in three days, and I didn´t see any change for the first two days, however on the third day I noticed improvement.

So I´m thinking OPs vet just wants to check in on saturday, and not per se to stop giving the meds. Though obviously I could be wrong, but as they said about 10 days, that seems to be what´s happening here;
Yup, that's what's happening.