• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Picasso is sick.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
My female budgie, Picasso, has lost 10 grams in the past 3 weeks. She is lethargic, sleepy, and has some trouble flying. Her urine is green, so I'm worried she has a liver issue, and we're seeing a vet ASAP. I'm keeping the heat at about 75 degrees F. Anything else I can do/anything you think she may have?

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I have had a couple people on PF say it may be psittacosis...
I also happen to be sick at about the same time, so I think I may have it? Unsure, have to see the AV for a diagnosis for Picasso.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry Picasso is sick, and I hope she will be okay! When is your appointment?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow 10 grams is a big weight loss. May your bird be well.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Cossie was breathing heavily for a bit today. Hoping we can see vet tomorrow.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
She is also molting, but a SUPER light molt...
Idk if that could cause all this, what do you think?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you got an appointment time with an avian vet yet? No use guessing when there is enough reason for concern!
Your bird loosing that much weight combined with the symptoms you list would not be a result of molting a SUPER light molt. 3 weeks showing the symptoms of weight loss and everything else you list needs vet attention asap.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
@Shezbug it was actually lost in 2wks :(, meaning she lost almost a gram per day. The vet didn't call, and my dad is being a pessemist and assuming that that means there is nothing they can do (he called after closing hours), but we're going to go tomorrow and see if they'll take us without an appointment.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
over 5% weight loss in a short amount of time is considered "concerning". Two to three weeks I would call a short amount of time. What is her normal weight?

There are other things that aren't exactly illness related that can cause weight loss, but that would be lack of access to food, such as if they were being bullied (or harassed sexually) away from the food, new food that they aren't eating, etc.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
over 5% weight loss in a short amount of time is considered "concerning". Two to three weeks I would call a short amount of time. What is her normal weight?

There are other things that aren't exactly illness related that can cause weight loss, but that would be lack of access to food, such as if they were being bullied (or harassed sexually) away from the food, new food that they aren't eating, etc.
Normal is 40 grams (she's a pretty chunky girl). She's not being harassed sexually, thankfully (and believe me, I observe very carefully), and each budgie has their own food bowl, due to fighting over food (she was the main initiator).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Normal is 40 grams (she's a pretty chunky girl). She's not being harassed sexually, thankfully (and believe me, I observe very carefully), and each budgie has their own food bowl, due to fighting over food (she was the main initiator).
So 25% weight loss is very significant and I would be at the vet for sure.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
So 25% weight loss is very significant and I would be at the vet for sure.
Yes, agreed. My dad wants to take her to the vet on his own, but I'm worried they'll show how to administer meds via syringe or something like that, and he won't show me correctly. Not sure if I want to push it, but he also tends to be dramatic (like when Stormy escaped he told the Humane Soc that I released him)...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What is the reason he wants to go alone? Can you explain you want to be there incase any medications need to be given and you need to be taught how to safely do it?

Reactions: tka

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
What is the reason he wants to go alone? Can you explain you want to be there incase any medications need to be given and you need to be taught how to safely do it?
Because I have school. He used to give meds in the military, almost 50yrs ago, and that's his reasoning- that he can pick it up well enough to teach me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Without sticking my nose in too much, it is your fmaily and you know them better than anyone, but he´s willing to help you and take your bird to the vet sooner than you are able to go, so I would be inclined to let him. That way your bird gets seen sooner rather than later.

Administering meds is easier than it would seem. Towel the bird, once you have them in a good grip in one hand, use your dominant hand to insert a syringe into the beak (be gentle, don´t force the syringe in) and give the dose (it´s usually a very small amount of medicine), if they don´t open the beak, one drop at a time where the two mandibles meet will allow the medicine to trickle down and go inside, takes a little longer but be patient.
Wait a good 20 seconds or so before releasing after the medicine to avoid them shaking their heads and flinging any unswallowed medicine.

A good tip if you get multiple meds, observe well, and if you notice they dislike one more than others, give that dose last (I have found antibiotics have been the worst for us so I always give those last).

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Without sticking my nose in too much, it is your fmaily and you know them better than anyone, but he´s willing to help you and take your bird to the vet sooner than you are able to go, so I would be inclined to let him. That way your bird gets seen sooner rather than later.

Administering meds is easier than it would seem. Towel the bird, once you have them in a good grip in one hand, use your dominant hand to insert a syringe into the beak (be gentle, don´t force the syringe in) and give the dose (it´s usually a very small amount of medicine), if they don´t open the beak, one drop at a time where the two mandibles meet will allow the medicine to trickle down and go inside, takes a little longer but be patient.
Wait a good 20 seconds or so before releasing after the medicine to avoid them shaking their heads and flinging any unswallowed medicine.

A good tip if you get multiple meds, observe well, and if you notice they dislike one more than others, give that dose last (I have found antibiotics have been the worst for us so I always give those last).
We're trying to go to the vet after school today, because he also worries something will go wrong and I won't be there to calm her.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I would crank her cage heat up to 85 degrees. Please let us know what the vet says....