• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

<photographs> Lorikeet Species

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
This site has several very nice pictures of lorikeets:

http://lorikai.multiply.com/

There are some of the common species as well as some that we do not see that often in aviculture. I have a collection of photos that I've taken and I will post some of them in this thread.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Pied Rainbow Lories :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I know ... they look almost like Sun Conures don't they! :D I think that the lutino was beautiful also.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
they are beautiful thanks for sharing

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I know ... they look almost like Sun Conures don't they! :D I think that the lutino was beautiful also.
I wonder if the lory mutations will ever get as popular and as available as quaker and conure mutations. It seems like so many people dismiss lories as pets because of their messy poop. :(

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I've never really seen any mutations in the US. I've only seen them in Australia- but that's because they are inexpensive and somewhat popular there. I think we might begin to see some at some point, but because of the limited breeding stock here, I think that it will take a long time.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
That stinks, I have a feeling that if there were some lutinos, pied, etc. available I would be finding a way to add one to my flock, they are just out of this world!

Junglebeaks

Meeting neighbors
I have a rescue Rainbow lori, his name is Teddy and he is SOOOOOO smart and such a GREAT talker.

He is very hyper though and his poop is a NIGHTMARE! but besides that, I would not trade for the world. :heart:

Bri393

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bri
Naww! My lorikeet Simon has the messiest poop and squirts every 10 minutes lol I just put it down to IBS ;) I would never not own a lorikeet life is too dull without them!

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
I totally agree about always having a lory. Those pieds are stunning....me want!

PsittaDragon

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Clara
Great photos, thanks for sharing! Yes, the mutations are currently only available in Australia (and I think New Zealand?) but still not widely known outside the lorikeet communities. They are starting to get more popular in Australia, the store I work at often sells greygreen and blue fronted rainbows.

Glad to see some love for the pieds (a.k.a "Sun Conure wannabes")! :D
This was my pied rainbow Axel (who sadly passed away in September):

View attachment 124672

View attachment 124673

EDIT: Whoa, just realised how old this thread is...

Last edited:

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
I just love lorikeets and lorys no matter what species or color they are. I LOVE the personality that comes with these amazing birds.:heart: I would not trade or take nothing in this world for my Kia

Status
Not open for further replies.