• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Phoenix regurgitating a ton of seed

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
C0F81C55-5A33-466B-A79E-235ABE013309.jpeg
It started happening out of nowhere and he’s still going. He’s bobbing his head like he’s regurgitating but then he starts flicking his head or stretching it out to rid of these clumps of seed

It’s almost like he can’t keep it down. I don’t know if he ate too fast or something. His weight has been constant at 37.5g

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It's only getting worse... I have no idea what happened

There's slimy liquid around it all...

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
He keeps flicking his head and tons of seed flies out of his mouth... he's still hopping around and playing, he's also rubbing his face on mine like crazy.

It makes me wonder if he just over ate or something? The avian vet is closed until Monday :(

Phoenix's last vet visit was about 3 weeks ago and the vet said he was completely healthy then, is that enough time for yeast to bloom?

Edit: I think he's done throwing up/regurgitating now. He's only done something like this one other time when I gave him a whole branch of millet, he over ate and spewed a few clumps out but it was never this many

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
8B9E6AC5-2E3B-44AD-8BBE-21ADFEAE3AD9.jpeg

Nevermind, he's not done, he's still going. He's still acting the same though

Edit: He's also eating now

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I think he may have overate, I found a whole branch of millet in his playpen that I didn't even know was there. I'll still take him to the vet Monday to be sure but for now he's okay

Sorry for posting even though I figured it out myself :rofl: I care about him so much

He breaks my heart too. The whole time he was throwing up he was pressed against my cheek for comfort. He's too sweet

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry I wasn't around to help earlier, but then I'd just have suggested what you worked out for yourself. Keep us updated plz.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Sorry I wasn't around to help earlier, but then I'd just have suggested what you worked out for yourself. Keep us updated plz.
It’s okay! He’s good now. I think he just ate too fast, but it’s always scary when they throw up like that :o:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t know, that sounds worrisome - I’d get him checked for yeast.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Here is an idea if you want to do this. Do you know how much seed mix he eats in a day? I would measure out the amount he eats in one day before giving it to him in a fresh bowl. Then when he is finished measure what is left of the seeds that are not hulls. The amount left is what you can measure out to feed him each day and that way he will not overeat if that is what he is doing. I used to do this. As he grows he may eat more of course so you can do the measuring thing again.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I don’t know, that sounds worrisome - I’d get him checked for yeast.
He’s done it before, last time I took him in because of it the vet said he ate too quickly, which he always does when he gets a whole branch of millet. There was a ton of millet in the vomit, and I found an empty bush in his playpen(I had no idea it was there). But like I said I’m still getting him checked on Monday, I’d rather be safe than sorry

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He’s done it before, last time I took him in because of it the vet said he ate too quickly, which he always does when he gets a whole branch of millet. There was a ton of millet in the vomit, and I found an empty bush in his playpen(I had no idea it was there). But like I said I’m still getting him checked on Monday, I’d rather be safe than sorry
It's not common but it's not unheard of. It's not just humans that can gorge themselves. Pepper used to do this occasionally when she was younger but seems to have grown out of it.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Try putting a very small foot toy in middle of his food dish, on top of the seeds. That way He has to work around that toy to eat, thus slowing him down while feeding.