• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Phoenix has been feeding me so much

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
He's been regurgitating for me at least 5-10 times a day, when before he was only doing it a few times a week. It's been like this for a few days now.

He has started molting again for sure, he's dropping feathers like crazy and getting bald spots (he's a really miserable molter :( ) but the last time he was molting he didn't feed me more, he would only attack me and scream like crazy. He isn't biting or screaming this time, not yet at least. Raiju is molting, too.

Is it possible he's jealous of Raiju so he feeds me more as if to "claim" me? These past few days Raiju has also been spending so much time playing with me, giving me kisses, preening/feeding me, etc. The two will even bicker over who gets to be with me- nothing major, just a couple of "barks" here and there with some minor beak fencing... It would make sense to me that Phoenix is feeding me more because he's jealous, but I'm not sure if that's a thing budgies do.

Either way, is Phoenix's increase of regurgitating something to be concerned for?
Phoenix is 8 months old and Raiju is around 7 months, both male budgies

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They are cute but regurgitating should not be encouraged as its just reinforces the wrong sigals & leads to frustration.

Penny a female does it sometimes but very infrequently & I ignore it & move away from her.
Rio the bum has never done it & he's a male

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
They are cute but regurgitating should not be encouraged as its just reinforces the wrong sigals & leads to frustration.

Penny a female does it sometimes but very infrequently & I ignore it & move away from her.
Rio the bum has never done it & he's a male
Oh, I've always heard they get upset and start to not like you if you don't let them do it? I used to make him stop when he was younger but I was told not to do that :arghh:

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
IIRC Phoenix is 3 days short of 9 months? This reads like a hormone surge to me.
You have 2 choices. Either put up with it, or find something else he may regurgitate to. He needs a way to release this urge - many males resort to the perches, cage bars, water bottles etc etc. Phoenix has chosen you because you are alive (and you used to feed him) and Raiju is too young and still relatively detached.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don´t let any of my birds regurgitate for me. Next thing they will want to hump your hand :wtf:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh boy! Phoenix is becoming a little budgie man now, lol!

I've read on AA that if they are regurgitating constantly that it's a good idea to keep a close eye on their weight to make sure they aren't losing weight. My boys don't deposit any food on perches, cage bars and so on when they regurgitate.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My boys don't deposit any food on perches, cage bars and so on when they regurgitate.
Some re-eat it.
My youngest lovie will regurgitate all over his girlfriend (stuffed whale), and re-eat it :barf: I have to constantly wash the thing to keep bacteria at bay.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
IIRC Phoenix is 3 days short of 9 months? This reads like a hormone surge to me.
You have 2 choices. Either put up with it, or find something else he may regurgitate to. He needs a way to release this urge - many males resort to the perches, cage bars, water bottles etc etc. Phoenix has chosen you because you are alive (and you used to feed him) and Raiju is too young and still relatively detached.
Actually he’s 3 days short of 8 months

He does regurgitate for Raijū and his favorite bell too but he’s been doing it for both of those less these past few days and feeding me instead

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Some re-eat it.
My youngest lovie will regurgitate all over his girlfriend (stuffed whale), and re-eat it :barf: I have to constantly wash the thing to keep bacteria at bay.
Phoenix re-eats it too, most of the time he doesn’t even regurgitate he just does the motion... he’s always had issues regurgitating and I think it’s because he was hand fed

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
most of the time he doesn’t even regurgitate he just does the motion
Some of my birds do that. I don´t think it´s a problem. Never really thought about it before.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I do not think birds have the human emotion of jealousy.
That’d explain why he never goes after Raijū whenever I’m giving him attention, and instead comes to me like “me too me too!” :roflmao: