• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PharmaQ Mite Treatment

Norbert

Moving in
Real Name
Norbert
Hi, does anyone know where I can get this product around Cape Town? My African Grey has bird mites, by the looks of it, and keeps on scratching. Have attached a photo of the packaging. It is apparently manufactured in Midrand JHB and marketed by Adcock Ingram but neither Lakato or MCP Vet Wholesalers stock it. Local vets don't stock it either. I can only find a supplier in UK on the internet, would be stupid to import a product made in JHB.
Many thanks in advance Norbert
P.S. Patient is sitting on my knee having a nap whilst I am typing this... Had him for 15 years from a baby.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hi Norbert
I havent seen the product you mention but Im sure there is a locally approved treatment

The best bird vet in Capetown ( and the country) will have a good product though. I suggest you contact them

email info@birdclinic.co.za
021 875 5063

Norbert

Moving in
Real Name
Norbert
Hi and thanks. I have emailed them. The PharmaQ product is locally made and I do not know why every vet does no stock it. One vet (receptionist) yesterday told me that they have the Bayer Advantex which works on mites and fleas for dogs. When I asked what about parrots she said "propably". I googled and it is for dogs only and toxic for cats, as cats can not metabolise the ingredients. Just hope this woman never gets a parrot.

Norbert

Moving in
Real Name
Norbert
These so called experts have responded and say that they do not stock the PharmaQ Mite Treatment but tell me they do have an ivermectin product for birds available, but refuse to tell me more and quote me a price. Their advice is excessive preening could be anything and I must "go see a vet". Maybe they think I will sell the 10 ml ivermectin 0.1% solution drop by drop as covid treatment on Gumtree.