• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Phantom pregnancy?

Sorptomber

Moving in
Hi there! Yesterday I brought home 3 canaries (a hen, buttercup and two cocks, prince and chase) for breeding. I still need to get another hen, but thats besides the point. Yesterday all 3 were happily flying around my aviary, all very active and seemingly healthy. This morning I went into the aviary and I noticed what looked like a really big poo. I ignored it and just thought one of them had gone to the bathroom this morning after sleeping all night. I decided to give it a closer look and I realized that there were shells all around it and that there was a burst yolk in the middle. I called my dad (an experienced breeder) and he told me to put buttercup and either of the cocks into the breeding unit we have inside the aviary. (Buttercup was on her own when we bought her yesterday, so if she is pregnant then it would be from a bird from her old home) We managed to get her and chase into the breeding unit, but am I doing the right thing? She didnt built a nest for the egg we lost, but this morning she was sitting quietly with all her feathers puffed out while the others flew around and sang. I know that the hens sometimes lay clutches without having mated with anyone, but to have her lay eggs less than 24 hours after coming home.. I just don't know what to do. I feel bad for having the two in the breeding unit because its so small compared to the aviary, and now prince is all alone. Does anyone know what I should do?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here is my opinion. And since your dad is an experience breeder I totally get it that you might want to go his way instead.

And the birds ate my 'd' key so you may have to use your imagination somewhat. Also the a key altho it's easier.

I would not breed them right away. They're in a new place, they aren't settled in, y ou may be changing their diet, they could have parasites. On and on. So at first when I bring them home I do this. It says finch but it's the exact same for canaries.

I don't keep hens with males except when breeding. They do not become pregant - they either lay eggs or not -- but they can carry the sperm from previous breedings for up to 6 weeks. Souns like you want to control that so, keep everyone apart for now. The 3 can have their cages smooshed up together, just not living together yet.

She could be puffed from stress, calcium deficiency, egg binding. or she's just going to lay another egg. Try not to isturb her too much... watch an be sure she is eating and drinking. Especially drinking.

:welave:

Sorptomber

Moving in
ahh thank you for replying!! ;o;
We think she could be in the middle of laying a clutch. We kept all 3 together in the aviary so that they could settle in, it's fairly big and theres more birds to be added (we've been on a wild goose chase for budgies the past few days) We dont have any nesting boxes/pans out in the aviary, we're going to add them in once breeding season rolls around and keep our pairs in the breeding units, where buttercup and chase are in right now. Buttercups been eating and drinking normally, she even goes for prince when he tries to eat at the same dish as her. I'll start giving her more calcium rich foods (I do have a cuttlebone in the aviary, she hasn't gone near it though) We're gonna keep the two together so that she'll have that support should she lay fertile eggs, if any eggs for that matter. I'm hoping she's not going to have chicks just yet, but I'm also gonna keep a close eye and make sure that they don't breed. If theres no eggs in the next 3 days, they'll both be let out and, hopefully, won't have to return to the breeding unit until march. Thank you!!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don't know where you are located, but Hurricane Irma messed up a lot of us with breeding schedules.... my canaries just hatched some babies a few weeks ago... the hen is laying again but in the food dish. So I keep removing the eggs.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Birds don't get pregnant. Hens lay eggs no matter what this time of year. They may r may not be fertilized, but my experience when new birds come home and lay eggs right away, even if they were kept with males before, the eggs don't hatch - possibly due to the stress of the move.

I would not separate the birds, you just got them and it would be best to not breed since canary breeding season is just about coming to a close now and they should molt soon. Let them enjoy the aviary, and breed them in the spring.

Sorptomber

Moving in
I'm situated in Dublin, Ireland. We had a blizzard a while back, that could probably be a reason why she's laid an egg so late into the season

Sorptomber

Moving in
Ahh thats a bit reassuring!!! I'll still keep an eye on her just to make sure that she didnt mate with a bird from her old home as we don't really know much about her history

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

I am with @Serin and @finchly on this one.

Dont breed them. The hen could have had 2-3 clutches already. Do you know the age of the new birds? the hen in particular.

Im in the UK so roughly know the weather uve had. Its getting late now to breed. .
I have an aviary with canaries and I do have 2 hens sitting on their last clutch number 2. They are both due next Monday and Wednesday. This is it then. No more chicks as the moult is looming.

Are budgies compatible with canaries? Im guessing you've done your research..budgies are hardbills... they are 2 very different birds.

Sorptomber

Moving in
We're not trying to breed them, it's just that the hen is currently in the process of laying a clutch, she had bred before we even got her. We don't know the exact ages but we're assuming that they're still pretty young, we got them at the bird market where breeders sell their chicks. I think they're just matured, the cocks are only starting to sing. I'm keeping a close eye on them to make sure they dont breed, but if the hen is laying a clutch then I might aswell try to help them survive rather than let her lay the eggs only for them to fall and smash. If theres no eggs in 3 days time, they're going back in the aviary.
From my research and my dads advice/experience, we're gonna place the budgies in the breeding units (theyre in the aviary. We wont give them any nesting material or nesting boxes and all dividers are being taken out.) We're gonna keep them in the units for a few days so that they can get used to the canaries and try to introduce them to each other. My dad has kept budgies, finches and cockatiels all in the same enclosure, so hopefully he'll be able to introduce them without many problems.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
A hen shouldn't breed until she is 1 or more years old. If she is from a late clutch it pushes her maturity later and isnt ready the following year. Is she/they ringed?

Id personally let them settle in..as hard as it is ..ignore the eggs..replace with fakes if need be. I have a hen who has had 2 successful clutches..I dont want her having a 3rd as its too much strain on her. I have removed all nesting sites. I have seen her trying to build in branches but nothing. She has given up thankfully.

Your birds are new. Their immunity is lower due to their ordeal at the market etc. Let them all rest and build them back up..give them much needed nutrition..via greens...seeds...crushed oyster shell etc. Build them up for next year..get to know them

Sorptomber

Moving in
She's not ringed, but the two cocks are. I don't remember the exact colours, I think they both have a light blue ring. the yellow cock has another yellow ring and the white cock has another white ring. They have split rings, so theres no id on them.
I'll definitely say it to my dad, eggs were the last thing we were expecting right now. We'll keep a close eye on her and see if anything else is laid, but I'm hoping not. Thank you for all the advice, today has just been crazy ahaha

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

I know the feeling for such cute little feather balls they keep us busy hey.

The blue colour could be the year 2017. White and yellow are for the breeders own use I presume. The rings are on a 6 year colour cycle. Good news for your cock birds. .they are in their prime.