• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

petting my bird?

Lovbirdnew

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Em
Im a new bird owner and had my lovebird for almost a week.

Even though hes not been with me long he seem pretty confortable around me.He tends to sit on my shoulder and eat my hair,he files over to me when i stick my fingers out and have a treat but obviously i have a long way to go to fully bond with him.

When i was trying to bond with him so he feels safer with my hands,I desided to try give him scratches on him head.He did not like that idea at all.He started ducking,dodging and was overall pretty uncomfotable so i stopped.I dont think hes scared of me but he doesnt step up on my fingers(only occasionally flies to them).When im at home i allow him to free fly all around my room.He doesnt like getting picked up by the body and wont let himself get touched.One time i tried grabbing him gently and stroak him on the head but he put his beak on my hand and muffled his screams.He did end up closing his eyes and looked relaxed but his beak didnt leave my palm.

So i was wondering if he just doesnt like being scratched,doesnt like being touched in general or if hes still getting used to me,even though he really comfortable on my head,hand and shoulders.

Lovbirdnew

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Em
Also with the woman i bought him from sent me a video of them.He seemed to enjoy being scratched on the head but also had his beak dug into her chest.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew