• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Petting in the Dark???

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
How is this not the same line of thought as flooding?
Well Val has never expressed discomfort with being handled in darkness so she wasn't flooded. She offers to step or to be pet. Weird I know, I get a gooey eye or in her mouth or a random body part sometimes, heehee. She's also flighted and not caged so I figure if something was truly bothering her that I wasn't minding, she can just waddle or fly away. She's capable of taking care of herself. Birds being prey, training is just like a horse.... the more you "tiptoe and coddle them" the jumpier and spookier they get. The more you try to "scare them" the quieter they get. I can use only pressure and release with horses because they use hierarchy. Birds dont so I add a little extra positive reinforcement for Val. I'm always putting her in new places, on new people, around/with new objects....she's gotten to where nothing really frightens here or makes her feel flooded. If it does, she knows that biting or flying wont end the scary thing, relaxing will. I desensitize her so much shes, in horse terms, practically "bomb proof".

I'm against flooding so i agree with you....if your bird is clipped, in a cage, can't move away, is still super fearful, etc. take it slow with lots of positive reinforcement.

Last edited:

Maggieconu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Margaret sibbits
I have started this with my green check conure and it's working

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have started this with my green check conure and it's working
This is possibly one of the worst ideas I have seen posted here on the Avenue :(

I highly suggest you read all the comments from the other quite experienced owners in this thread and also devote some time to learning about flooding @Maggieconu and also read up about how important safe uninterrupted sleep is for birds mental and physical health.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
This thread is from 2014...