• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pets miss each other, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

birded

Sitting on the front steps
Last month we lost our beautiful red cat, Chigger, to cancer. He was 14, and our CAG Harley had known him all her life.
The first morning he was gone, Harley woke up and--as usual--called, "Chigger! Chigger!"
No answer.
Harley was quiet all morning. Then in the middle of the day she flew down to the floor, walked to the corner where his food dish used to be, and said, "Meow? Meow?"
I got down on the floor with her and said, "All gone Chigger."
She looked at me very intently for a long minute. Then she flew back up to her cage and was still for a long time.
I know she misses him just as much as I do.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Yes, they do miss when a 'sibling' is gone. I've seen it happen over the years with dogs, cats and birds we've had. It is very sad and at the same time very touching.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so sorry for your loss.

Matt

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How sad. :( I'm so sorry for your loss.. grieving is one of the hard parts, especially for another animal because you don't know how long or how bad they'll grieve. :hug8:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Beau missed Maddie when she first died. Harper seemed relieved and Kei didn't seem to care either way, but Beau went a few days mourning her loss.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so very sorry for your loss:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Soo sorry for your loss... :(

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yes they do miss each other. It is amazing the connecting they make.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm so sorry for your loss :hug8:

When we lost our black lab when I was a kid, the husky that we had was very withdrawn and reserved for a couple of weeks. They had grown up together and Buddy had been the outgoing, energetic lovebug while Niko had been more shy and timid. With Buddy there, it was almost like he fed on his excitement and was able to express love. With him gone, I knew that he greatly missed his friend, but it was almost like without his presence, he didn't even know how to interact with us. It was very sad.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They definatly do,when we had to put our 3 year old Shih-Tzu Sophie to sleep following a rare blood disease. We got home after putting her down and we walked in and her mother Biscuit was laying in the middle of the kitchen floor with tears streaming down her face,we had never seen anything like that,it was so heartbreaking that my mother,grandfather and I all broke down again to. Our other 2,Cocco,Sophie's half sister and Penny her neice where huddled in the corner pressed together.

It was so weird,they didnt even know that we had left to do that,Sophie had been staying at the Vets for about 4 days by then and they left to pick me up from school.

That was quite a lesson about animals,cause I dont know how but they some how I guess felt when Sophie left this earth and they cried as if they were human.

senorabarb

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I'm sorry for your loss.

April, your story of your other dogs knowing that Sophie was gone was heartbreaking.

When I returned home from having my Cockatiel put down, my TAG asked me, "Where's the birdie?" They somehow sense it.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was heartbreaking and yet so amazing to see. We are still amazed to this day,about how they were grieving.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Jadesmom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mary Ann
I am sorry for the loss. And I do believe they know. When my 5 lb. pomeranian lost his best buddy, Bobby, my 24 pound Maine Coon to kidney and bladder problems, he was a little lost soul. I would say "Where's your Bobby Cat?" and he would go to where Bobby always slept and sniff deeply at the carpet. Even now, 2 years later, if I say Bobby's name, he will look all over for him. Don't you wish there was some way you could make them understand? Its so sad.... :(

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I know what you mean. I had 2 golden retrievers years ago. When Charm died of cancer, it took a full month before Cowboy stopped going to the front door to look for her. It is so sad. I'm sorry you and Harley are going through this.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I wholeheartedly believe they miss their siblings. But in my case, it's not only to death, it's to adoption as well. When I foster puppies, I get them when they are 1 -2 weeks old and have them for several weeks. The dogs and birds get used to being around these babies and watching them grow up into fiesty little beings. Then after several weeks, they are adopted out to their forever homes and the dogs will go look for them and the birds will call their names. It breaks my heart, not only for myself and losing the little ones that have been a big part of my life for several weeks, but also for my dogs and birds. I know they miss them as well. I'm going through that right now with 3 babies that are up for adoption today.

Status
Not open for further replies.