• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Petco prices!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
So Im at sonics now but was at petco. Petco has 2 green cheek conures for sale and there "on sale"For 300. Normal colours. And red boas in which are central south Americans and not Columbians. There 190. It's a 50 dollar snake. Cockatiels were 100. Omg man. I love supplies there. Very reasonably priced. But as for animals. :( :(Wow!Oh and I got Sam zurpreems natural avain maintaince for parrots. Also a critical thinker toy :)

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
Pretty much all pet stores overprice their live animals. Sun conures go for $600 at my local Petco and PetSmart. I paid half of that for a baby and that included shipping across the country.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Gccs and sunnies around here go for between $499 to $599 give or take some. And the "fancy" gccs are regular green cheeks or black caps. That's PetSmart. :cool:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
That is pretty common for most big box pet stores to charge outrageous prices. When I got Tango from a breeder I paid $275 and the petco and petsmart both wanted $650 for their sun conures :eek:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
How much are native parrots in aussi
I think most native birds in Australia are illegal to own, like native bird species in the US and Canada. Non-native parrots in Australia are outrageously priced, really outrageous, and I'm talking from a breeder not a store. I'll let Stephen fill in the details about natives vs non-natives and the price factor because I never visited Australia even though I'd love to live there. :)

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I think most native birds in Australia are illegal to own, like native bird species in the US and Canada. Non-native parrots in Australia are outrageously priced, really outrageous, and I'm talking from a breeder not a store. I'll let Stephen fill in the details about natives vs non-natives and the price factor because I never visited Australia even though I'd love to live there. :)
Come for a visit :D

SC2, RB2 and Corellas seen for $50ea during the week. There's only 2 or 3 native parrots that arent kept privately in captivity over here, most noticably the Palm2 and Red-Cheeked parrot. Pretty much everything else is available captive bred.

'Bread and Butter' exotics (gcc, sc, ringnecks, quakers, etc) are all pretty much on par pricewise with overseas - it's only the rarer and larger species that command large prices.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
They charge more because their over head is way higher than breeders, so of course they're not going to be the same.

This is why it's always better to go with a breeder. Not only is it WAY cheaper, it's a better experience, ect! :) I've fallen in love with so many Suns, GCC at those stores but they are SOOO much cheaper at breeders!

Btw. The petco here I HATE. But it all depends on where you live, because back in Washington I liked the Petco there. I go to PetSmart because they have a much bigger selection and they're cheaper on the bird toys. And they have a million dog aisles :p

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Here in so cal petco is over priced pets cheep product. And petsmart is still over priced pets but cheaper lol And expensive product. My handfeeding formula cost 11.99 at petco and cost 14.99 at petsmartAs for native parrots thankyou steve!! Real neat info. 50 dollars for a too!!Wow. Considering there 1000 or relatively near that here.

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Wow... a Normal Green Cheek, at the breeder that supplies our Petco, costs $75. At Petco, $175. Sun's from the same breeder costs $150. At Petco, $300-350.

I've only bought two things from our Petco before because the products are SO EXPENSIVE!! The toys, cages, and food are ALL overpriced - and is the most expensive pet store we have on the island!! I've only bought a container of Beak Appetit a while back because it was on sale for $3, back when BA was going out of business, and four small dishes.

Josie

Strolling the yard
The sad thing is that those poor birds will probably be there a good long while before someone buys them, because of those prices. Most of the time, their conditions aren't ideal either. I saw some poorly kept birds in a PetCo the other day, and my fiance and I decided to drive to a different pet store to buy what we needed because we didn't want to support that. :\

He then decided he wanted to use his buisness degree to be a regional manager of a big retail pet store chain and :whip: them all into shape to take better care of their animals. :heart::loveshower:

BusterBlu

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carrie
I've worked petcare at Petco and Petsmart and it makes me sad seeing birds there for a long time. Also let the manager know the birds aren't being kept in good condition. (if you can get a message to a gm or something then the store has huge pressure to spruce up the bird living condition). My petco near me is lucky, I worked there and love birds, and a few other bird owners work there so our store is very big on keeping our fabies happy and well cared for. I have seen stores that obviously don't have that and it makes me sad.:(

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
He then decided he wanted to use his buisness degree to be a regional manager of a big retail pet store chain and :whip: them all into shape to take better care of their animals. :heart::loveshower:

As nice as the sentiment is, he'd still have to answer to corporate offices, and if it's not cost effective I imagine there will be more than a little resistance

lmkdesign

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren M Kelly
The only thing I've found remotely affordable at Petco was a cockatiel nestbox for $15. :p

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
Come for a visit :D

SC2, RB2 and Corellas seen for $50ea during the week. There's only 2 or 3 native parrots that arent kept privately in captivity over here, most noticably the Palm2 and Red-Cheeked parrot. Pretty much everything else is available captive bred.

'Bread and Butter' exotics (gcc, sc, ringnecks, quakers, etc) are all pretty much on par pricewise with overseas - it's only the rarer and larger species that command large prices.
Then how much are the RB2's and Corellas and SC2's? I think I've seen people own them in Aussie.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I dislike all of those corp mass retailers. They take away from the stores that sell products that are independent. I support a local Guy here, he carries mostly foods- hardly any pets aside from ferrets, bunnies and guinea pigs. He only has 2 store tiels there. His bird stuff isnt anything to write home about because the market I guess isnt big here. He himself owns a Hyacinth so go figure.

I do buy dog food there from him, he carries all the good brands that are holistic from Solid Gold to Orijen. Prices are reasonable compared to everyone else around who sells the same. That I wont buy online due to S&H costs and use by dates.

As for my birds, all my purchases are primarily online- but I do occasionally hit the bird Vet if I really need something like Harrisons or Goldenfreast.

Other than that I do not support those mass pet retailers.

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
Man, lucky you! The only birds they sell at Petco down here are 'Tiels, Parakeets, Finches, and the occasional Quaker or Sun Conure. I wish our Petco sold GCCs!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
North of the border, GCC is about $600-800, Suns about $1000-1200. :(
Are you talking pet store prices?
I've seen these guys for far less from breeders.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
They just got a Sunday in at my Petco and selling him for $599. The Green Cheeks are $350 and they are normals. They did have the Green Cheeks on sale a couple months ago for $199, but still overpriced and they were not hand-tame. The new Sunday is though, I held him after his bath :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.