• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet lorikeet with wild birds

Awillow

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping for some advice. We have a pet rainbow lorikeet that we adopted about 3 years ago. He is inside at night but has an outside cage during the day. Lately he has had wild birds coming and landing on his cage - often the same bird ( I think a girl). As I've read that rainbows mate for life, I'm trying to work out how to stop an attachment happening as he won't be able to take care of her in the wild.

Any advice?

Thanks for your help!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a peculiar predicament! Is the female still visiting your lori boy? What is his name?

Unfortunately I have no advice. I take it you are in Australia and she is the same species? Part of me would want to let them to be together and follow their happy little hearts, and I know diseases are a concern especially if you have any other birds. Too bad there's not a way she can come visit with him in his day cage and let her out at night when you take him in.

If they were able to hit it off, could it be possible for him to be reintroduced properly to the wild? :shrug2: I don't know if anyone ever does that; I've never had a pet that was native to where I lived so that's nothing I've ever had to consider. I'd feel kind of wrong about taming her though. Could you get him a different girlfriend that isn't wild before he bonds with this one?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Is it possible to limit outside time to when you are there to supervise? Unfortunately, PBFD is common with lorikeets here in Aus, and personally I would not risk the possibility of transmitting that disease to your fid. Not to mention having your boy outside runs the risk of him being attacked by other wild birds (there are other Australian members who can attest to those horrors).

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Both of those things are so sad. :sad9: