• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pet insurance for Birds?

Picaroon

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kymi
(I know I've been very MIA for a long time and I'll address that in another post perhaps. Rest assured Picaroon is doing well)

It popped into my head today after looking through the mail and seeing something from VPI insurance for my parent's dog.

Sure enough VPI offers insurance for bird and exotics. I'm curious to give it a go since vet bills for avians can be just as much, if not more, as bills for dogs.

Do any of you have avian pet insurance? What's been your experience? Have you found it helpful?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'd love to get it. You can't get insurance for parrots in Canada.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Ya know Kymi, alot of people swear by it. I personally think there are WAY
TOO many exclusions for my taste. I did some reasearch for my Boxer but
thing is she is an older dog and VPI's premiums for me at least, were way
out of my budget. Because of my dog's breed and age. What I have is a
credit card JUST for the animals and JUST for emergencies. I never knew
they offered avian insurance:confused: ...Do some homework on different plans though:D

PicklesParrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
There's health insurance for birds?!?!!?! Why am i just know finding this out?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes, I have insurance on Milton, from VPI. There are different levels you can get-and -in my opinion- the premiums are very moderate in price. I highly recommend them...:)

eclectuswife

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jean Gauthier
I've had VPI on my birds for about 10 years now. Overall, here's what I can tell you...for most species it runs about $20. a month. Before you sign your bird up, they should get a current vet visit on your dime and if there is a major issue already, that may fall under something they won't cover (for example, if you are adopting a plucking bird, any future claims related to feather destruction they won't cover). Unfortunately with VPI, I believe they will not insure new birds over 10 years old (which I think is related to their dog/cat policies, in that they aren't covering a 'senior' animal who wasn't previously insured.) Of course, for birds, 10+ years is normally NOT an elderly parrot, so I hope one day they will change this as it has meant one of my rehomed guys can't get insurance. But I have found it to be handy...you usually get about 2/3 of what you spend at the vet reimbursed when you file a claim. It takes about two weeks to get your claim check. Between CareCredit offering a credit card for vet expenses and VPI, my fairly low budget covers a lot of vet care for my flock, which I appreciate. Now and then they turn down a claim, or it's only a $10. reimbursement, but overall I am a happy customer, and their customer service phone help is always great. Have not tried any other pet insurance company so far.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've had VPI on my birds for about 10 years now. Overall, here's what I can tell you...for most species it runs about $20. a month. Before you sign your bird up, they should get a current vet visit on your dime and if there is a major issue already, that may fall under something they won't cover (for example, if you are adopting a plucking bird, any future claims related to feather destruction they won't cover). Unfortunately with VPI, I believe they will not insure new birds over 10 years old (which I think is related to their dog/cat policies, in that they aren't covering a 'senior' animal who wasn't previously insured.) Of course, for birds, 10+ years is normally NOT an elderly parrot, so I hope one day they will change this as it has meant one of my rehomed guys can't get insurance. But I have found it to be handy...you usually get about 2/3 of what you spend at the vet reimbursed when you file a claim. It takes about two weeks to get your claim check. Between CareCredit offering a credit card for vet expenses and VPI, my fairly low budget covers a lot of vet care for my flock, which I appreciate. Now and then they turn down a claim, or it's only a $10. reimbursement, but overall I am a happy customer, and their customer service phone help is always great. Have not tried any other pet insurance company so far.
Milton is 18 years old....and I've had VPI for him for 3 years-so they do insure birds over 10 years old. Like I said before, I highly recommend them. I think you touched on one of VPI's strong points- their customer service is excellent. They are always nice-very compassionate.
I got better service from them that I got from my own health insurance company....go figure...:rolleyes:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've never looked into the animal insurance policies (both of my birds would be excluded for pre-existing chronic illnesses), but one thing I have wondered about is if they cover for only certain vets. Or can you stay with your current vet?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've never looked into the animal insurance policies (both of my birds would be excluded for pre-existing chronic illnesses), but one thing I have wondered about is if they cover for only certain vets. Or can you stay with your current vet?[/QUOTE
Services from our vets here in Erie and Buffalo,NY have been covered...we have never been limited in our choice of vets...