• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pesticides

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Okay so my family rents an apartment and we got a notice today that in a few days they will come in and spray pesticides inside and around the building.

I am mainly worried about my birds and how this will affect them.

Where should I take my birds I don't have a carrier either.

Can my fids stay at home when they spray the pesticides how about when finished?

Sorry about this it's all so sudden. :(

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, no! THe birds must be out no matter what they are spraying. I am an apt manager and whenever we have any spraying done even for ants, animals must be out of the unit for 8 hours to overnight would be preferred.
do you have a neighbour or an empty unit that management may let them stay in? How about a friend? As far as carrier, I use a hamster cage for the few times he goes with us camping. we have a bigger cage for the campsite. also remember not to leave them in a car due to heat or cold.

some of our pet stores will take them in for a few hours to days, so maybe something to look into, or contact your vet, they may have ideas or people that offer their services for such a situation...

hope you get it resolved. :)

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Hi, no! THe birds must be out no matter what they are spraying. I am an apt manager and whenever we have any spraying done even for ants, animals must be out of the unit for 8 hours to overnight would be preferred.
do you have a neighbour or an empty unit that management may let them stay in? How about a friend? As far as carrier, I use a hamster cage for the few times he goes with us camping. we have a bigger cage for the campsite. also remember not to leave them in a car due to heat or cold.

some of our pet stores will take them in for a few hours to days, so maybe something to look into, or contact your vet, they may have ideas or people that offer their services for such a situation...

hope you get it resolved. :)
Thanks sm for the advice!

And unfortunately I don't know where we are going to go to my parents said that we'll take the birds along to the park or something.

We don't know where we could go to stay and I don't have any friends or relatives who would take my fids.

Do you know if the landlord is supposed to give money or a voucher for a hotel or something like that?

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
In british Columbia, Canada, here we don’t, but you may be able to find out from your area through the tenancy branch but it would depend why so many units are being sprayed. We only do the unit that needs it, not the others unless there is a chance of spreading, and even then would start with the neighbouring areas. Would it be possible to bring them to a bird rescue center for the day, or spca type place.
you may also ask if your place MUST be done or could you have more time to make arrangements. If they were to skip your place, make sure to seal windows and around doors so that nothing could come into the unit. Also you can phone the company coming in and double check with them what they will be using and what is the best form of action to to take.

sorry I’m not more help but please let me know how things work out...I have had tenants take a motel room for the night just so they could be more at ease. But they had kitties.

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
In british Columbia, Canada, here we don’t, but you may be able to find out from your area through the tenancy branch but it would depend why so many units are being sprayed. We only do the unit that needs it, not the others unless there is a chance of spreading, and even then would start with the neighbouring areas. Would it be possible to bring them to a bird rescue center for the day, or spca type place.
you may also ask if your place MUST be done or could you have more time to make arrangements. If they were to skip your place, make sure to seal windows and around doors so that nothing could come into the unit. Also you can phone the company coming in and double check with them what they will be using and what is the best form of action to to take.

sorry I’m not more help but please let me know how things work out...I have had tenants take a motel room for the night just so they could be more at ease. But they had kitties.
I'm in the US if that helps a bit.

I don't know why the pesticide spraying is happening because my apartment dosen't have a pest issue atm.

Maybe another unit has one but idk.

My parents are going to ask at the office tommorow for more info.

I can't believe this was so sudden you would think we would get a few weeks to prepare at least.

And unfortunately there's no rescues or SPCA close to my area except a wildlife bird sanctuary that's closed because of covid and the shelters only take in dogs and cats which sucks. :(

mak

If they were to skip your place, make sure to seal windows and around doors so that nothing could come into the unit.
I would be careful even if they are not spraying the actual apartment. If they spray the hallways fumes will get in when the door is opened. I would try to figure out asap a way to take the birds out for at least 8 - 12 hours.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You certainly do not want your parrots there at all when this spraying happens..... I had pest control done and was told it was a new pesticide that was totally safe for pets to be around- I double checked with the pest controller about the safety of my chooks, cat and dogs. He told me that as long as they were kept away till the product settled and was not airborne or dripping anymore that they would all be fine- I took extra precautions to his instructions by waiting for 8 hours longer than recommended and not even putting my chooks back into the area that was sprayed.... apparently even being next door was not far enough away as all my chooks were dead the next day and both my dogs and my cat needed to see the vet also. Pets and pest control do not ever mix well at all as the whole reason it is done is to kill small living things which is usually the same description that your pets fit into! Take them away for a few days holiday to a hotel room or friends house.

Last edited:

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Update:

The pesticides spraying was cancelled/on hold because there are no hotels open in my area or people don't want to go because of the virus.

Other tenants complained to the office about giving such a short notice and etc.

If this happens again would my fids staying in the car be okay?

Because that's what my parents want to do but I'm not sure and don't agree with them on it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They can only stay in the car if a person is staying in the car with them. I would get a hotel or plan ahead and try to stay with a friend.

mak

Update:

The pesticides spraying was cancelled/on hold because there are no hotels open in my area or people don't want to go because of the virus.

Other tenants complained to the office about giving such a short notice and etc.

If this happens again would my fids staying in the car be okay?

Because that's what my parents want to do but I'm not sure and don't agree with them on it.
Cars can get extremely hot / cold depending on the weather. It's not a good idea to keep them there.