• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perfume and birds

Empire

Moving in
Hi there! I'm wondering if it's safe to handle or just being around birds when using perfume.

I can't stand it, it gives me strong headaches, so I really feel it shouldn't be good for them... I don't use it myself obviously, but I get worried when people visit my house and want to interact with my girl. Could it harm her lungs in any way? Or maybe it is bad if she licks/bites their skin?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yeah, probably.

Depends to some extent on the type of fragrance and the individual sensitivity of the bird, but yes birds can be bothered by perfumes and strong fragrances can be potentially harmful, especially in large doses or over a long period of time.

A brief encounter with a fragrant stranger is unlikely to do lasting damage but living in close proximity to someone who bathes in cheap aftershave can't be a good thing for the bird's respiratory health.

Empire

Moving in
Yeah, probably.

Depends to some extent on the type of fragrance and the individual sensitivity of the bird, but yes birds can be bothered by perfumes and strong fragrances can be potentially harmful, especially in large doses or over a long period of time.

A brief encounter with a fragrant stranger is unlikely to do lasting damage but living in close proximity to someone who bathes in cheap aftershave can't be a good thing for the bird's respiratory health.
Thanks a lot for your reply! I was worried she already had any problem because of ingesting or breathing it.