• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perches and Toys

budgelove

Meeting neighbors
Hello!
I'm researching into budgies, and planning to buy a pair in a week or so, whenever I feel adequate and knowledgeable enough to be a good budgie parent. I have a few questions, and I thought I'd ask actual budgie owners for their opinions and their experiences. I'd extremely appreciate your thoughts. Thank you in advance :)

So my first question is toys! I was wondering what toys you guys buy for your budgies. Are there any specific links you'd recommend that are for a fair price and loved/well used by your budgie?

And then perches as well-- are there any specific links to perches you guys use? (Natural wood perches and/or human-made perches) I've been researching and I read that some can help naturally file down a budgie's nails when the budgie walks on the perch. And for me, I live in Los Angeles-- everyday there's more and more Covid cases so ideally I'd like to minimize having to take my (future) budgie out. ^^

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and I am very grateful for any replies ^_^

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue 1.welcome signs.gif

Planet Pleasures (the smaller toys), Super bird creations (Sold at Kazoo bird and other places too) and Lil monsters bird toys (LMBT) are popular amongst the littles . The second offers a selection box hand picked for each bird. You just say price and preferences.

For perches look for natural branches, they´re the best. Cotton perches are ok.

I read that some can help naturally file down a budgie's nails when the budgie walks on the perch.
Those are Pedi-Perches. I like Hagen (Living world).

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

The links Zara provided are a wonderful start for toys. Budgies tend to like the softer materials balsa, mahogany, cardboard, paper, palmleaf, etc. Bright coloured hard plastic beads can be fun for them too. I like to make my own toys so can't recommend any toy in particular.

Natural are definitely the best perches :)

budgelove

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for the replies :)

@Mizzely @AussieBird @Zara

Do you guys know if pepper wood is safe for budgies? I was looking online for natural wood perches and I see a lot of pepper wood options with great reviews but when I google if pepper wood is safe for birds and budgies specifically, I don't get any results.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Thank you all for the replies :)

@Mizzely @AussieBird @Zara

Do you guys know if pepper wood is safe for budgies? I was looking online for natural wood perches and I see a lot of pepper wood options with great reviews but when I google if pepper wood is safe for birds and budgies specifically, I don't get any results.
I posted on your thread, pepperwood contains medicinal properties that can be potentially unsafe :)

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Not sure this exactly fits into your question about perches and toys, but I have to say that the one thing I got for my 'keets that they've seemed to get more pleasure from than any other thing (other than treat food) is eucalyptus. They love the leaves, the branches, the twigs. I even sprinkle crumpled up dried leaves over their pellets.

Seriously, eucalyptus for the win!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JoJo&Loki

I know your fids have had some favorite toys from our vendors!