• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Perch with mold?

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!
I ordered a platform perch online from one of our local stores and it seems to me like the wood has mold on it? I’m confused if it is actually mold or something else? Could someone also please help me out on whether it’s okay for me to be using it or let me know if it’s harmful for my bird? Thank you.

Attachments

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks like Lichen, not mold. Lichen is a composite plant or cyanobacteria-like organism.

What I don't know is whether or not it's harmful to parrots. Hopefully others will be along soon who will know more!

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
I spoke to the online store representative and he told me it happens due to the rainy season and can be removed if I just wash it with water. I am going to try that but I’m still skeptical about using it though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you don't feel comfortable using it, as for a refund :)

If you want to try and salvage it, use a wire brush to remove as much of the lichen as possible. It's not harmful for birds though as far as I know.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm comfortable with the lichen if I know the wood was kiln dried. The high temperatures used in kiln drying kill algae, fungus and mold so I know I'm looking at an aesthetic issue only.

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
I’m fine as long as it’s not mold and just knowing that lichen is not harmful to birds is making me feel a bit better. I will try to clean the lichen with a brush and let my bird enjoy her new flat perch. If I’m still unsatisfied with it, I will just order a new one from a different place because unfortunately the previous online store doesn’t do exchanges or refunds.
Nothing comes before the safety of my bird. I might as well just get another perch for her instead of letting her use something that might be harmful just because I spent some money on it.