• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

perch recommendation?

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
hi there! so right now, I'm still using the god awful dowel perches for Ellie, because they're the ones that came with her cage when I got her. the cage itself is great, I think its a decent size for an older bird that can't fly super well. Im wondering what perches would be good for her? her cage has those thinner bars, so the perches i have for Minky won't fit in her cage. I'm on a budget right now as I don't have a job and a mechanic screwed us out of 5k just to ruin our car even more so cheaper options would be preferable. I have natural branches from our hedges which I can take the bark off of and leave to dry but I'm not sure if its a good idea.. plus I have no idea how I would attach them to her cage.. I made a stand out of them for Minky but I haven't used them in an actual cage. sorry for rambling and I hope this is the right place to post this ;;
20220129_214122 (1).jpg

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
oh by the way, she doesn't just stand on the perches all day and I have soft padding at the bottom of her cage so she can walk around on a nicer surface. she usually sleeps there too

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If your hedges are bird safe wood then use them- they're free! You will just need some hanger bolts, washers and nuts to fit.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
A very temporary fix might be to use vetwrap to vary the width of the dowel rods until you can get a different perch/ perches.

minkylory

Real Name
Nel
If your hedges are bird safe wood then use them- they're free! You will just need some hanger bolts, washers and nuts to fit.
I honestly don't know.. the only thing I can find online is that the fruit is toxic but I see birds eat the berries off it all the time. wild birds also nest in it and all so I'm assuming it'd be okay. I've seen wild lorikeets in it too

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What is the hedge?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can use a electric sander on the dowl perches to shape them and off a difference in thickness.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Murraya paniculata, most sites say its fine but I'm not certain. I do have a lilly pilly too which I could probably take some branches from
I am not really sure about the safety of your hedge branches but the lilly pilly is def safe.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I buy reptile online or store bought cork branches and zip tie them to my cage my birds love them