• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perch problems?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies toe nails grow faster than most other species. What are your plans for this?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Me, I'll be taking them to the breeder for a trim. I try not to grab them very often, but sometimes needs must, as was your point to the op.

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Rigo has a wide variety of perches in his large cage. Some plastic ones that came with the cage that have holes so he can grasp them, a branched one like the one posted before, a round rope swing he likes to sit on, and a grapevine one I got at a recent bird show. That one has a little bark on it and I see him picking at it. I'd like to get more of those. His favorite place to perch/sleep is the highest plastic one.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi got a new cage since I posted about her set up. Now she has even more perches in a variety of widths and textures. I read that Linnies like a crowded cage so they can easily move about, hopping and walking, vs flying, and that's true for Gigi. I actually have 2 boings in her cage now, center back and center front. She is like a little gymnast, bounding about. I'm super excited that she uses all of her cage. My fave perch is this one from Petco that I posted before. I went to every store in my area and then called Petco, asking them to hand pick their smallest ones in the warehouse. I think I have 19 of them in various widths, lol. Maybe a lifetime supply for my spoiled little Linnie.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Gigi got a new cage since I posted about her set up. Now she has even more perches in a variety of widths and textures. I read that Linnies like a crowded cage so they can easily move about, hopping and walking, vs flying, and that's true for Gigi. I actually have 2 boings in her cage now, center back and center front. She is like a little gymnast, bounding about. I'm super excited that she uses all of her cage. My fave perch is this one from Petco that I posted before. I went to every store in my area and then called Petco, asking them to hand pick their smallest ones in the warehouse. I think I have 19 of them in various widths, lol. Maybe a lifetime supply for my spoiled little Linnie.

That's great to hear! I think my boys are still settling in, they're very cautious. I was thinking of putting in some more perches so they can get around better. The way they walk is so cute! I have some of those birch perches too, they're really nice. I've found a lot of perches on sale on the Petco website and they price match in store! You can't beat $4 for a nice perch.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG I can't believe those cross over feet when Gigi walks. And she'll do it really slowly, lifting one foot up and holding it up. Ahh so cute.
Look at my play gym set up. I just posted in the Toy and Cages section.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Back to perches, I have 3 of these in Gigi's cage that I got from Petco. One of them is her preferred sleep perch.

I have one of these perches angled so that Gigi can get to the bottom of the cage if she wants, from Petsmart

This is Gigi's swing that she uses often, I see it everywhere
The second one - manzanita branches have always been my birds favorite. You can hang toys off them and if you get one that has at least 2 main ones that branch off like the one you see here perfect for smaller birds.