• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perch problems?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
What is your Linnies favorite perch in his cage? For some reason Kiwi doesn't seem to like any of the perches I have in his new cage. I have all different sized perches in the cage, some are wooden perches that came with the cage, others are the ones that are rather rough so he can rub on it if he wants. However, I usually find him perched on his food dish and when he sleeps he sleeps way up at the top of his cage and hangs on to the side. Poor thing cannot be very comfortable. My husband is going to make him a flat perch in case he would prefer not having to sit on a perch all day but I still don't understand why he doesn't like any of the perches. So that is why I'm asking what is your Linnie's favorite perch?

Also, where in the cage does he or she usually sleep, top, middle or bottom area?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Oops also forgot to mention that he also has a boing runnding down the middle of the cage but I never see him on that.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Could you post a pic of your cage? The perches might be too low to the round and that might be why he/she sleeps hangin from the bars. Perhaps she would like a platform instead OF a perch to sleep on? Also, perhaps a cotton rope perch might interest her. The boing might be moving too much for her to sleep on.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi has a variety of perches too. A rope boing and swing, 6 natural wood perches, with various diameters, shapes and textures. She seems to use all of them. She comes down low when we are sitting nearby or the kids are here, and up high if we are standing. Otherwise she roams around to check out toys near the perches. She sleeps on an upper wood perch in the center of her cage. It took her a few weeks to decide on that. I bought a platform and will try it out soon.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you take a picture Denise? Maybe we could guess at some things to try?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
I have no idea how to upload a photo to the forum. I think the one perch he wants to sit on is a bit loose so I will try to get one that is tighter to the bars. Also, I will put the rope perch back in and see if he wants that. Mike is making him a platform perch as well. The cage he is in right now isn't all that big (bigger than the one previous) but it's not a flight cage so I don't want to over run the cage with perches. It's more of a tall cage than wide. Hopefully one day he can move in with Woody into the flight cage.

Another question. Can I use wooden dowels at the hardware store to make a perch?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea how to upload a photo to the forum. I think the one perch he wants to sit on is a bit loose so I will try to get one that is tighter to the bars. Also, I will put the rope perch back in and see if he wants that. Mike is making him a platform perch as well. The cage he is in right now isn't all that big (bigger than the one previous) but it's not a flight cage so I don't want to over run the cage with perches. It's more of a tall cage than wide. Hopefully one day he can move in with Woody into the flight cage.

Another question. Can I use wooden dowels at the hardware store to make a perch?
A perch that feels wiggly might make Kiwi feel nervous so tightening that will be good. Regular wooden perches that usually come with cages or are from the hardware store aren't the best for bird feet (although we all used them for decades), it's better to buy natural wood perches. I ordered some online but they seemed too big and a little slippery. I found the current ones I have at my local Petco and Petsmart. I wanted to see them. About rough perches, I don't use one but if I decide to buy one, I would get one that has scratchy stuff just on sides so it hits the nails and not the soft part of the foot. Also it seems like Gigi's cage is pretty tight. It seems like linnies like to be able to climb not fly so it's nice if stuff is close. Gigi really likes her rope boing and rope swing. I bet that gives the feet a break.

Last edited:

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
The perches he seems to prefer are the ones that come with a cage although he has quite an assortment to choose from. I choose the scratchy one so he could get rid of those white sheaths on his head. He seems to be using it for that but doesn't sit on it which is fine. I also have one of those perches with the scratchy stuff on the sides. It was in his previous cage but he never used it. He always sat on the one that came with the cage. We have fixed the perch that seemed to be a bit loose and last time I checked on him he was sitting on it. I will get him some natural perches when I go to the Pet Expo in September in Mississauga. Looking forward to that. My youngest pug Maesy and I go every year and they have lots of dog and Bird stuff available that u can't find in Pet smart.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will get him some natural perches when I go to the Pet Expo in September in Mississauga. Looking forward to that. My youngest pug Maesy and I go every year and they have lots of dog and Bird stuff available that u can't find in Pet smart.
Fun! I would love to go to a bird expo! You will probably find everything you want and more! I really like to see the stuff instead of always buying online which is what I usually have to do.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Yeah it's tons of fun. Lots of people bring their dogs, birds and reptiles and there is so much to see and buy. Have to take lots of money with me this time cuz I have a list of stuff I want to get for all my critters.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah it's tons of fun. Lots of people bring their dogs, birds and reptiles and there is so much to see and buy. Have to take lots of money with me this time cuz I have a list of stuff I want to get for all my critters.
I bet! For years the Baltimore Bird Fanciers had a semi annual bird mart/show/expo near me. I went every year and it was so fun. But they stopped a few years ago and I don't think there is another one nearby. Not sure. I will be looking online.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Back to perches, I have 3 of these in Gigi's cage that I got from Petco. One of them is her preferred sleep perch.

I have one of these perches angled so that Gigi can get to the bottom of the cage if she wants, from Petsmart

This is Gigi's swing that she uses often, I see it everywhere

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
We don't have Petco here in Ontario Canada. I have the second perch but I think it would be too big for Kiwi's cage. I even removed it from Woodys flight cage as he never used it. Maybe I will put it back in. However it's not really a natural wood. It's fake so that's probably why he didn't like it. I've never seen those swings around here. Going to a bird store in another town tomorrow so I will have a look for that.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes that second perch is fake wood. :( But, I use it because my cage doesn't have wires all the way down. If Gigi falls on the bottom, she needs a perch or boing to grab to get back up, so it was a solution when I angle it down. She spends time on it and bites it too.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
It might be fake but it sure looks real. I may give it a try in Kiwi's cage. If not for sure I should try it in Woodys cage again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The best perches are the ones you gather yourself. If you study the safe tree list and go out after a wind storm you will find them.
I will attach to the cage with a zip tie. You can clean them by soaking in a bleach water solution. I usually brush them first. The reason for going out after a storm is that you want fresh fallen branches. Its really a fun thing to do. By the way the rough surfaced perches only serve to produce sores in the bottom of the feet. Have you checked that?

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
The best perches are the ones you gather yourself. If you study the safe tree list and go out after a wind storm you will find them.
I will attach to the cage with a zip tie. You can clean them by soaking in a bleach water solution. I usually brush them first. The reason for going out after a storm is that you want fresh fallen branches. Its really a fun thing to do. By the way the rough surfaced perches only serve to produce sores in the bottom of the feet. Have you checked that?
UGH no? How should I check it's feet If he doesn't want me anywhere close to him?.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes we need to do things for the birds same we don't want to. You use a small hand towel to hold him and look. Sometimes you can see the bottom of their feet if they are standing a certain way.

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Sometimes we need to do things for the birds same we don't want to. You use a small hand towel to hold him and look. Sometimes you can see the bottom of their feet if they are standing a certain way.
Well he has only been here for a couple of weeks and he is not hand fed nor hand tamed so I think waiting to put him through what u r suggesting can wait a good long time.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've found my linnies to be very cautious. I have an assortment also and I've noticed that they really take their time to trust the new footing. I also have a seagrass hut that they sleep in, so I don't worry about them sleeping on a perch that might annoy their feet, although Emrys is slowly chewing it apart. They won't touch their rope swing but love their rope perch. I think just time and experimentation. Mine are not hand tame yet either, but I just check their feet out while they're moving around in their cage.