• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perch OVERKILL!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Alrighty, get ready for a long one...

I decided to take a break from the research project parts machining to do something fun. Went to the shop this weekend and made three neato perches for the finches. Ever since Charlie picked out his favorite spot on top of the kitchen cabinets, I decided I needed to create some custom perches for them. I am using paper towels up on top of the cabinets currently, but now instead, I can just stick one of these perches up there for him to sit comfortably and to catch all the mess. Then just rinse it off in the sink. Below is a series of pictures documenting the construction process.

1. I started by simply cutting out the shape I had in mind from paper just to get the approximate size I wanted for the perches. I then bent the paper where I wanted the folds. Again, this was just to see the approximate size first.
IMG_20171001_023254.jpg IMG_20171001_023326.jpg

2. I then modeled similar dimensions in CAD (Computer Aided Design) using SolidWorks. This created the necessary STEP files to import into the CAM (Computer Aided Machining) software. I then programmed the CAM files using MasterCAM. This is what tells the machine where the part is in 3D space inside the machine, what tools to use, what RPM, when to use coolant, what paths the tools should cut etc. Essentially its the code telling the machine how to cut out the part. Lastly, I simulated the part machining process. This is an important step as it shows if I made any programming mistakes both with regards to the part and the machine. Its unfortunately possible to heavily damage the machine if you tell it cut in the wrong place or preform the wrong motion. These are SCARY powerful machines...
SolidWorks1.PNG MasterCAM1.PNG MasterCAM2.PNG

3. Once everything is coded, the machine has to be setup. All the tools are set and loaded into the machine and then the tools are precision probed inside the machine so the machine knows exactly where the tool is.
IMG_20171001_012226.jpg

4. The machine also needs to know where the part (blank) is in the machine. We use ruby tipped probes that precision touch surfaces in the machine so it knows exactly where the part is in 3D space (X, Y, Z). This probe is grown molecule by molecule making its dimensions precisely controlled/known. Here I am probing the X coordinate in the first picture. In the second picture I am probing the Z coordinate using a precision block of known height. This is after I have cut custom jaw slots into the machine (The aluminum bars that are clamping on the block I am measuring). These are sacrificial jaws that are there to be intentionally or unintentionally cut into without permanently damaging the machine.
IMG_20171001_011817.jpg IMG_20171001_012026.jpg

5. Once the machine is setup we can start machining parts. The first part we have to machine though is a fixture to hold the acrylic (Whole process is lengthy as you can tell). This is a half inch aluminum plate with holes drilled and tapped in it to hold down the acrylic blank while cutting.
IMG_20171001_013200.jpg IMG_20171001_013238.jpg IMG_20171001_013243.jpg

6. Now that the fixture is made, after a few more adjustments (not pictured) an acrylic blank can be temporarily clamped to the fixture and the first part of the program run. This first part simply drills holes in the acrylic that align with the holes on the fixture so the acrylic can be bolted down in preparation for the rest of the program. Once bolted down, the clamps are removed and the acrylic is machined the rest of the way now that it is secured.
IMG_20171001_023354.jpg IMG_20171001_023547.jpg IMG_20171001_023838.jpg

7. While the part was machining I snapped a few pics of the machine too. Here is the control console, HAAS VF2, and the row of all our VF2's. We also have a SMM, VF3 (BIGGER version of VF2), and a 5 axis for really complex stuff.
IMG_20171001_024115.jpg IMG_20171001_024210.jpg IMG_20171001_024227.jpg

8. Once the part is finished machining, it is blown off to clear away any chips and all the machine coolant, and then unbolted. Now the part is still technically attached to the stock at this point. This is a method of machining where small "tabs" are left which are easily cut through and touched up by hand. For non precision parts, this is a great method and perfect for this application.
IMG_20171001_024510.jpg IMG_20171001_024530.jpg IMG_20171001_024639.jpg

9. Here are the first looks at the part fresh out of the machine with the protective paper removed and the tabs cut and cleaned up with a file and steel wool.
IMG_20171001_030307.jpg IMG_20171001_030427.jpg

10. I ended up cutting out three of these. One of each color. Blue, Green, and what the manufacture calls "Red" haha. The best part is, they are all florescent. The blue needs some encouragement from a UV lamp, but the green and red do just fine under regular light.
IMG_20171001_035040.jpg IMG_20171001_035050.jpg

Max number of pictures added. Posting this first part now with an immediate followup. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
11. Now back at home, its time to pull out the bending rig from my previous post here: Pictures - Lots of incoming acrylic toys and perches! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum and bend each side of the perch up at 90 degree angles.
IMG_20171001_191746.jpg IMG_20171001_191752.jpg IMG_20171001_192153.jpg IMG_20171001_192046.jpg IMG_20171001_192402.jpg

12. While doing the very last bend (of course...), I finally had my first wire failure and the ground I built in (plus the GFI outlet) worked perfectly. The wire failed causing the hot to make contact with the aluminum heat channel which tripped the GFI safely cutting power to the rig. Now just out with the old wire and in with the shiny new (2 minute replacement) and we're back in business.
IMG_20171001_193749.jpg IMG_20171001_193802.jpg IMG_20171001_193832.jpg IMG_20171001_194847.jpg

13. Once all the perch bases are bent and cooled down, its time to add the actual wooden perch. For this I just used a long perch I purchased at Petco except I purchased my own stainless steel hardware and I cut the perches to length. It was then just a matter of a little bit of sanding each end as well as adding a small chamfer to each end to remove any burrs and then screw in the SS hardware using my bench vise.
IMG_20171001_201734.jpg

14. Tada! Here are all three finished perches under UV light to show off their bright colors.
IMG_20171001_202859.jpg IMG_20171001_202911.jpg IMG_20171001_202935.jpg IMG_20171001_202919.jpg

15. Finally, it wouldn't feel right to not have a picture of a bird testing them out. Unfortunately Emma & Charlie have already gone to bed, however I was able to bribe Lada to come out and be a guinea pig for the price of half a walnut. Also one final picture. In case you were wondering what the pockets on the bottom were for, those are counter bores to accept rubber feet to keep the perch from sliding around. They are bored down into the plastic to keep the sticky rubber feet from migrating as they often do on other things... In retrospect, I should have used clear rubber feet, but I just guessed on the required counter bore size and these foam sticky feet were all that I had at home in my shop that would fit. If I make more I will make them a little larger so the clear feet fit.
IMG_20171001_212345.jpg IMG_20171001_220356.jpg

That's all folks! I hope you enjoyed the pics and the process!

Last edited:

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
:super: How much are they? I'd like to put in my order please!! I'd like to have four and maybe two extra? You are so amazingly cool!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Oh now you're just showing off!

Those are great, you should market them :)
Thanks for the compliment. Yeah maybe. Last time I had a BUNCH of people who wanted to buy the atoms I made and then when the time came to buy, everyone went silent hahaha. So I'm not planning on getting rich any time soon from these lol. If people REALLY want one, I would be happy to consider it, but I would need a little more commitment first. They are very time consuming to make in small batches considering the machine setup time and the custom name engravings.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You can make atoms????

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That is awesome!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
:super: How much are they? I'd like to put in my order please!! I'd like to have four and maybe two extra? You are so amazingly cool!
Thanks for the compliment! Don't know. Never really thought about it. As I just replied to Finchly, same situation happened when I made the atoms. Depending on what you want (how complex) we could figure something out.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
There we go! I can't wait to see Charlie's reaction tomorrow morning when he flies up to his spot only to find this bright green perch in its place. Should be interesting to see if he is scared of it at first or if he goes right for it.

IMG_20171001_224525.jpg

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Oh please oh please! I would love to have six of these! The atoms in the small size too! Two of those! You are fantastic at these! Seriously, you should think of selling these on the side! I'd buy them for sure! :shopspree:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
All I can do is... string together wood blocks for toys.
I think I'm going to have to do that soon too. Lada's parront said she doesn't like toys at all. She has apparently tried different things for years. Well apparently I finally got lucky. I put a big blocky chain type toy ($39!!!) and she is chewing it like crazy! Makes me really happy I found something she likes. Now I'm just going to have to replace it at some point. Not going to buy it again either... Time to make some wood blocks this time. For $39 I'm in the wrong line of work hahaha.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Oh please oh please! I would love to have six of these! The atoms in the small size too! Two of those! You are fantastic at these! Seriously, you should think of selling these on the side! I'd buy them for sure!
The big problem with selling all the stuff I make (Not just bird stuff) is its not really designed to be sold. It is just designed by me for me usually using the materials I prefer. Its uses really time consuming processes and expensive materials and so when I try to turn around and try to calculate what it costs for me to make it plus a little extra on top to cover my time/effort the price usually shocks people. Why pay ten times as much for something made here in the US when they are mass producing the same good for pennies over seas. Sure its generally lower quality everything (materials, build, etc.) overseas, but most people are ok with that. That being said, if you're interested in quality over quantity, feel free to reach out to me directly at arobinson at atomiklan dot com. I am not permitted to advertise or sell things on the site since I am not a vendor but you are more than welcome to contact me personally.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Amazing work :worthy: