• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peppers

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
Do IRNs like spicy peppers? Does the heat bother them? If they do and can have them - what kinds? Jalapeño? Chili peppers? Cayanne? Others? And how do you give them? Whole with the seeds? Without seeds?

thanks!
Leslie

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds do not taste the heat of peppers like we do. They evolved to be the main distributors of pepper seeds. You can give them all of the ones you mentioned - I usually do jalapeno simply because they are cheap. However they like it is fine - and I always let them have the seeds :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know of at least one other member on here that feeds Carolina Reapers. Not all birds like the taste of peppers though, regardless of the scoville rating.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, on the not all birds & peppers. Buddy (Zon) hates hot peppers except in scrambled eggs. He will eat sweet & green but hates hot.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Go for it!!! Just... if you feed a pepper without mixing it with anything else.... don't kiss the bird after they ate the pepper! *MANY* stories out there of owners who lips are burning after kissing the bird!

I recently made chop and added 2 jalapenos to it, seeds included. Sometimes I'll add other peppers, too. It's a small amount compared everything else in there...

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh @Monica makes an excellent point... I wear rubber gloves now when cutting up peppers. I went to the store after making some chop (and yes washed my hands!) and rubbed my eye. Instant tears...had to pull over the car because I couldn't see!! Had to sit next the highway for a good 10 minutes before I could resume. :lol: