• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper passed away.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I have another family vacation next week, though, and I don’t know how I can trust a pet-sitter that I don’t even know super well, after this. I don’t really trust anyone to look after the fids after this.
I can imagine your anxiety. I hope you find a promising option. If you end up going, please try to have a good time, that’s what Pepper would have wanted. I found it increasingly difficult and guilty to leave my senior cats especially once they had to take medicine to manage illnesses. I made a clear, concise but detailed, easy to read introduction guide and taped it in multiple places. It doesn’t solve anything but it gave me peace of mind. I’ve pet sat many different animals and i found that it made me feel more comfortable and confident to have something to look at as a reference and a checklist. Keep us posted on what you decided. Good luck!

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
My sincere condolences on the loss of Pepper.

If the accident involved a fish tank, how about getting an automatic fish feeder so no one has to mess with that while you're away? Eheim & AquaOne make very well regarded ones.
I'm actually just not going to feed them for a week. It's a fairly(?) common practice among goldfish owners, as so much can go wrong if they're accidentally overfed (ammonia spike, swimbladder disorder, bloat, etc.) They can actually go a month or two without food just fine, and I'll only be gone a week.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’d look into the feeders. They’re $60 here & you set how much food is served & how often. They work with pellets or flakes.

Just because something can survive without food doesn’t make it natural or right.

Fasting for a day every so often for therapeutic reasons isn’t the same as for a week for convenience.

I’m beginning to agree with @taxidermynerd : maybe it’s time people stopped selling fish.

No one would think it’s okay to not feed any other creature for a week. They’d survive too & some might even have a few pounds to shed. We’d survive too, but I don’t recommend it.

:heart2::fish2::fish2:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I'm actually just not going to feed them for a week. It's a fairly(?) common practice among goldfish owners, as so much can go wrong if they're accidentally overfed (ammonia spike, swimbladder disorder, bloat, etc.)
What kind of fish do you have, how many and how big is the tank? Do you have a filtration system? My brother has been a fish keeper for over 20 years and can give you some insight.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I’d look into the feeders. They’re $60 here & you set how much food is served & how often. They work with pellets or flakes.

Just because something can survive without food doesn’t make it natural or right.

Fasting for a day every so often for therapeutic reasons isn’t the same as for a week for convenience.

I’m beginning to agree with @taxidermynerd : maybe it’s time people stopped selling fish.

No one would think it’s okay to not feed any other creature for a week. They’d survive too & some might even have a few pounds to shed. We’d survive too, but I don’t recommend it.

:heart2::fish2::fish2:
Don't worry, I'm just telling the pet-sitter to feed them less, a parital fast. Maybe a pinch of pellets every other day or a bit less (they only get a pinch per day anyhow). This thread is great if you want to see other fish people's opinions on this. I'll only be gone 5-6 days anyhow. Also, if you're saying people should stop selling fish just because you think me fasting them for a short period of time is cruel, without actually knowing my care or how healthy they are, just... please don't. Fish are vastly different than mammals and birds.
What kind of fish do you have, how many and how big is the tank? Do you have a filtration system? My brother has been a fish keeper for over 20 years and can give you some insight.
3 juvi fancy goldfish, 40gal tank (I know, a bit on the smaller side, but not overstocking), HOB 40gal canister+60gal sponge filter. Heavily planted with Vals and giant Swords. Fully cycled, established tank, been running for a 1+ years. Water changes weekly with added beneficial bacteria and water conditioner.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I'm actually just not going to feed them for a week. It's a fairly(?) common practice among goldfish owners, as so much can go wrong if they're accidentally overfed (ammonia spike, swimbladder disorder, bloat, etc.) They can actually go a month or two without food just fine, and I'll only be gone a week.
You can get slow release feeding blocks. Not sure how good they are as far as a food source but many people use them when they go away and have no problems- I used to use them when I had a fish tank and had to go away to my grandads (before I got a transport tank to take them with me which I called their caravan lol). If you use the slow release feeder blocks you can put them in the tank before you leave and there is no reason the pet sitter would need to open the tank lid at all then. Just an idea

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
People can also technically fast for 8 to 21 days. Doesn't mean I would want to. ;) My leopard gecko doesn't eat for months at a time during the winter, but she is brumating at that time. If she's not brumating make sure she eats at least every 3 days.

The time release blocks in my experience last about half the amount of time they advertise for but still better than nothing.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
He said you have a good filtration system plus a sponge filter and live plants so your ammonia levels should be manageable should you choose to use a
5 day block. Good luck on finding a solution!

BirdLover5

Moving in
Real Name
Bird lover
Yesterday, my sweet boy Pepper passed away due to an accident with the fish tank (while my dad was pet-sitting). I am devastated but at the same time, I knew it was going to happen. I have another family vacation next week, though, and I don’t know how I can trust a pet-sitter that I don’t even know super well, after this. I don’t really trust anyone to look after the fids after this.
I’m sorry about Pepper :( my thoughts are with you

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
You can get slow release feeding blocks. Not sure how good they are as far as a food source but many people use them when they go away and have no problems- I used to use them when I had a fish tank and had to go away to my grandads (before I got a transport tank to take them with me which I called their caravan lol). If you use the slow release feeder blocks you can put them in the tank before you leave and there is no reason the pet sitter would need to open the tank lid at all then. Just an idea
Unfortunately, I can't get to a pet shop before we go on vacation! We're leaving tomorrow.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
He said you have a good filtration system plus a sponge filter and live plants so your ammonia levels should be manageable should you choose to use a
5 day block. Good luck on finding a solution!
That's great! It's really the only option at this point, sadly.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Such sad news. I can't imagine what you and your dad are going through right now. :(

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I don’t know what to do with Stormy. He’s so sad since Pepper passed and his eyes are so dull. Picasso tries to cheer him up by singing, but even she can’t make him happier. I’m going to get another male budgie if I can find a rescue with a compatible personality, but what can I do to cheer him up? Pepper was his boyfriend, and he was Pepper’s mate (although his mate is Picasso), and I can’t imagine how painful it must be for him.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you only have two budgies left, I'd consider seeing how things develop between them, unless you want to up their numbers to four. :angel2:

Spyglass29

Strolling the yard
I don’t know what to do with Stormy. He’s so sad since Pepper passed and his eyes are so dull. Picasso tries to cheer him up by singing, but even she can’t make him happier. I’m going to get another male budgie if I can find a rescue with a compatible personality, but what can I do to cheer him up? Pepper was his boyfriend, and he was Pepper’s mate (although his mate is Picasso), and I can’t imagine how painful it must be for him.
*hugs*
Yeah, getting another bird is kinda the only option when this happens.
Give him some time, though....sometimes (rarely) birds do recover from the loss of a friend or mate.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
If you only have two budgies left, I'd consider seeing how things develop between them, unless you want to up their numbers to four. :angel2:
I have 3 currently, 2 girls, Apollo and Picasso, and Stormy, my boy. Stormy lost his mate about a year ago as well, so this is extra hard for him.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I'm home! The fish were fine, no lethargy, no signs of illness, swimming around like normal. They gobbled their food right up when I gave it to them! The birds totally trashed my room LOL. They're all fine, though.