• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper passed away.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Yesterday, my sweet boy Pepper passed away due to an accident with the fish tank (while my dad was pet-sitting). I am devastated but at the same time, I knew it was going to happen. I have another family vacation next week, though, and I don’t know how I can trust a pet-sitter that I don’t even know super well, after this. I don’t really trust anyone to look after the fids after this.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Yesterday, my sweet boy Pepper passed away due to an accident with the fish tank (while my dad was pet-sitting). I am devastated but at the same time, I knew it was going to happen. I have another family vacation next week, though, and I don’t know how I can trust a pet-sitter that I don’t even know super well, after this. I don’t really trust anyone to look after the fids after this.
Oh gosh, I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend Pepper

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Oh gosh, I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend Pepper
Yeah, I’m trying not to beat myself up over it, but I so wish I had been there to save him, or at least to say goodbye.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry for your loss of Pepper. They fly into our hearts and leave feather dust on our souls forever...

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
an accident with the fish tank
In what way? PLEASE, don’t feel like you have to elaborate if you don’t want to. I know how painful it is to talk about. I was just wondering because I have a tortoise tank in the room they fly in. I was wondering if it was like running into a glass situation.
I’m trying not to beat myself up over it, but I so wish I had been there to save him, or at least to say goodbye.
I lost my best friend, my sweet boy cat and it was more than I could bear. I too, wish I did things differently, wish I trusted my instincts, wish I let my old boy go at his own time and not force him into a vet which was just too much for him. If I could offer one piece of advice?A member on AA said something to me that resonates deeply. When you live in guilt, your brain protects yourself and starts to store away those beautiful memories that you have shared. It’s trauma to your brain to lose anything close to you. As a coping mechanism, my brain has almost hidden memories with my sweet boy. It’s not gone, and I hope as I accept the grief (it’s been 4 years) those memories will grace me again and feel like they belong to me. Because it still feels like it’s someone else’s story. Like I’m just reading an article or a post. I’m not connected to the memory, it’s really really sad but it’s crazy and beautiful what a mind can do so we can be resilient and go on. So my advice? Cry, scream, sleep through the day but process it. So you can actually look back with fondness and love for the beautiful moments you gave each other. Hugs to you and fly free little Pepper <3

Spyglass29

Strolling the yard
I know there isn't really anything i can say to make you feel better.
But no matter how little this is going to help, I want you to know that Pepper was beautiful, and loved, and he's watching over you right now, from a beautiful field with all the seed he could ever want.
*virtual hugs*

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was just wondering because I have a tortoise tank in the room they fly in. I was wondering if it was like running into a glass situation.
Stick some decal on it ;)
Put mesh over the top to stop them going in (and pestering your tortoise if you still have him).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sincere condolences on the loss of Pepper.

If the accident involved a fish tank, how about getting an automatic fish feeder so no one has to mess with that while you're away? Eheim & AquaOne make very well regarded ones.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :sorrow:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:sadhug:
I know the pain of losing a budgie while you're away all too well... so sorry for you're loss :sorrow:
It helped with me to admit accidents happen, things we cant control happen, people shouldn't be blamed and we absolutely should not beat ourselves up over it.
Remember the good times and remind yourself of how amazingly you cared for him, he was loved and he knew it :bighug:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so sorry. What a horrible accident.

My thoughts are with you during this time.
:sadhug:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry for your loss.

Has the tank been moved or covered so there are no more terribly sad accidents?
Beating yourself up over this incident is not a good thing, try to let it go and move on knowing that you can't change what has already happened but you can stop the same accident from happening again- mistakes and accidents can be some of the biggest learning curves for us even if they sometimes come with huge heart ache. Maybe you can use this incident to better the safety for the rest of your little ones.

If you have a sitter watching your birds for your next vacation maybe you can stipulate that the birds are to stay in their cages at all times?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss.

SunTruth

Beating yourself up over this incident is not a good thing, try to let it go and move on knowing that you can't change what has already happened but you can stop the same accident from happening again- mistakes and accidents can be some of the biggest learning curves for us even if they sometimes come with huge heart ache. Maybe you can use this incident to better the safety for the rest of your little ones.

If you have a sitter watching your birds for your next vacation maybe you can stipulate that the birds are to stay in their cages at all times?
These are some words of wisdom here.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
In what way? PLEASE, don’t feel like you have to elaborate if you don’t want to. I know how painful it is to talk about. I was just wondering because I have a tortoise tank in the room they fly in. I was wondering if it was like running into a glass situation.
Basically my dad was pet-sitting, he left the fish tank lid open, and Pepper drowned. None of the birds have ever had trouble with the glass. It's not a mistake I'd ever make, and my dad feels absolutely horrible. I'll make sure the next pet-sitter knows to shut all lids.

Like I said above, it's not an accident I'd EVER make. I know the risks of keeping birds and tanks in the same room, and am extremely careful.
My birds only have small sleeping cages, they free roam all day in my bird-proofed (provided everyone is careful with closing the tank lid) bedroom. I can afford flight cages, but it seems much kinder to just let them roam. This is the first major accident I have had in almost 2 years of free-roaming, and I'll make sure to alert the pet-sitter to shut the lids, especially since Apollo is still growing out her clip.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Basically my dad was pet-sitting, he left the fish tank lid open, and Pepper drowned. None of the birds have ever had trouble with the glass. It's not a mistake I'd ever make, and my dad feels absolutely horrible.
Oh no, I know that’s incredibly difficult :(It definitely reminded me to stay vigilant and go over some safety issues with my husband, since he is much less experienced. So thank you for sharing. A similar thing happened to my husbands elderly blind dog and the “things we could have done different” was haunting so I really feel for you. His mom was away during that time as well. I’m so so sorry and I’m sure your father feels awful. Sending love to everyone. Stay strong