• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper is gone

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She's gone.
I opened their outdoor cage and had taken Pikachu out, and was going to get Pepper as well but she got out, flew towards me and then up, and just went around a corner and we lost sight all at 4:30pm I think

We searched and searched and called and around 6-7 someone heard her call out twice. It was darker.

We kept looking and calling, my dad whistled (she usually responded loudly to that indoors)
But it's now 9 and dark and since hearing her that one time no luck.

I'm really sad- I wish I had her wings clipped sooner but wishing does nothing :sad11:
I asked a couple of neighbors all around (that were awake) to keep an eye out for her.

But cats, dogs, owls aaa

We posted on our area's FB page but I dont know how actively it's used/looked at.
I wish I didn't look away that one moment. She might still have been here.

It's cold and dark out there :sad10:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
:hug6:Get out there before the sun comes up and start whistling to her and keep at it. Hopefully she did not fly off far but widen your circle if you don't hear her in the morning.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
We had to turn in since there were no more noises and it's completely dark. I feel awful :sad11:
If we can get outside early I'm going totake Pikachu out and get him to make noise..

It's so frustarating that we heard her that second time but couldnt locate her. She stopped after two calls and I wonder if an owl got her- we see owls sometimes.
Im putting a alert on parrotalert...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2::cry3:

Go out early with the other bird. Hopefully now she has settled in for the night & will sleep til morning.

If you have a small cage can't hurt to put it out in the yard with some food water etc...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry but don't give up hope. Get up early and start looking. Put her buddy in a travel cage and walk around with that and put out a cage with some food & water. I hope that she finds her way home.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Im posting on craigslist now- going to try contacting animal control/rescues and then the vet and pet stores tomorrow
Some neighbors have a bird feeder or two..

Im going to leave their outdoor cage out with food/water and a toy she will recogize.. and sprinkle seed and pellets tomorrow
im stressed and cant think straight I miss her already

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Get out there where they heard her once it's light enough out and you can bet she's hiding and roosted in a tree within a few blocks. If she is around and you call her she'll perk up and call back eventually. Take a cage she likes, favorite noisy toys she loves like bells. If you can get on the roof under where she's at with favorite treats, cage, toys.
Lurch flew into 3 different trees, two I was able to climb and even touch him once then he got spooked and flew to a even higher tree. He stayed in it for 21/2 days and we were allowed on the roof below his tree. He called to us and got mad when he saw us eating his favorite junk food but was too scared to fly down. He was chased away by crows on the third day and haven't seen him since. Put up flyers, post to Parrot alert and places, put her on Craigslist in pets and lost and found, maybe even pay one of the petfinder places for a week of ads, posters, Facebook, and alerts to all the vets and pound type places close by. If your lucky she'll go to someone when she gets hungry and tired or you might find her tree and get her to come to you.
I renew Lurches Craigslist lost ads every week in case someone found him and sees it and calls, I had flyers up too.
At this point he either got found or perished one way or other but you have time on your side. Sometimes they can turn up months or years later so don't give up if she doesn't turn up nearby and come to you, good luck.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok, first thing is to breath, in the AM before the sun is up, put her favorite friend in travel cage and start walking the neighborhood. on cell phone, record your Dad's Whistling a good couple of minutes worth. walk a few steps, play the whistle, and listen for her to call. repeat it as many times as possible always stop and listen. if you hear her, try to pin point where she is. carry with you her favorite treats, call to her softly with the treats in your hand so she can see them. remember she is frighten too and no doubt hungry & thirsty. maybe if two of you go out take another travel cage with you so if you do catch her you can get her home safely. make up posters and put them up on every corner you can, along with pet stores, vet clinics, laundry matts, grocery stores, drug stores. Renew the ad daily for a while. I would put 2 phone numbers on any ad and poster. do not give up.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Im going to head outside at 4-5am
Im crossing fingers and everything,, thank you for the advice I will record his whiistles and play Pikachu's sounds

oh Pepper please come home

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
record any flock calls from your other birds also. make sure to some how lock the travel cage that the other bird is in so you don't lose 2 of them.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Check HIGH in trees. Sometimes they land way up and then are scared to come down.
Is this a cockatiel? When I was little we lost a few, the cage outside is a great idea. Ours did fly down and go inside it.
Check far away too...don't give up hope after days..we found one a week later (someone called us) and they were miles away from us.mit did turn out to be our little guy too.
Don't give up hope! He/she will be hungry and will most likely come to that cage if in the area. Post ads everywhere you can, tell your neighbors to be on the lookout.
*Hugs*

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thinking of you and sending best wishes to find Pepper.
:sadhug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I am so very sorry - don't give up.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope you find her!

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Sorry! I really hope you find Peppper! Dont give up :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am so very sorry about your loss. Don't stop calling and looking despite the raptor threat. She will keep low, using the trees as protection. That is instinct for her species. Good luck and Blessed Be.

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh no, I'm so sorry. Looks like you have a lot of great tips on here---I hope you're able to reunite soon!