• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"People over" experience last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
Been there done that too. It's hard and mine are sooo jealous, especially Ray. He yells anytime I talk to someone and increasingly turns to screams. Not if they talk, but I can't open my mouth. Company are either receptive or completely turned off. Thankfully, Ray and Kota are caged in another room, but Fiona is in the family room and alarm calls every time someone is near the front door or she hears a door open or close. Eckie alarm calls HURT the ears. I've seen the look of disgust on people's faces so many times over the years. Oh well, that's their problem I guess.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Been there done that too. It's hard and mine are sooo jealous, especially Ray. He yells anytime I talk to someone and increasingly turns to screams. Not if they talk, but I can't open my mouth. Company are either receptive or completely turned off. Thankfully, Ray and Kota are caged in another room, but Fiona is in the family room and alarm calls every time someone is near the front door or she hears a door open or close. Eckie alarm calls HURT the ears. I've seen the look of disgust on people's faces so many times over the years. Oh well, that's their problem I guess.
Ekkie alarm calls are really something else. I have two males. Both were alarm calling every time the kids made noise, which made the kids yell more.

Ahh yes, the look of disgust. And the "How do you sleep?" LOL

Typically my guys will calm down after about 5 minutes. If people can tough it out for that initial 5 minutes, then they are fine. Of course, as each new person arrives, there is a new 5 minutes.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kiwi hates kids!!!
I was told that Zoe hates them too. Luckily, I don't have a problem with that ;)

Debbie, that sounds like a trying time indeed.

We are in the process of pricing having a true wall with french doors and sidelights built so we can create a true "room". That would have been much better.
I may do something like this too, later on. I still have to figure out exactly what the arrangement will be. But, I do have one actual bird room, and I may end up with the dining area being a "macaw room."

Last edited:

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Tiki is mad at ME when we have company.

My boyfriend has a friend who really wants to be Tiki's friend
he's always calling Tikis name and saying Tiki wants to come hang out with him, then when I let him hold Tiki, Tiki just stands there then hops away from him LOL

Lately he's getting better about going to strangers though.

I would have to say dogs are way worse than birds. We have to put ours away in crates when people are over because they can't behave properly.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ahh yes, the look of disgust. And the "How do you sleep?" LOL

Typically my guys will calm down after about 5 minutes. If people can tough it out for that initial 5 minutes, then they are fine. Of course, as each new person arrives, there is a new 5 minutes.
Isn't it funny that people don't take into consideration that THEIR presence is what is setting the birds off? And that, when they aren't there, the birds are not reacting. :mad:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My guys tend to 'ham' it up when people come over. They turn into little show offs.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Isn't it funny that people don't take into consideration that THEIR presence is what is setting the birds off? And that, when they aren't there, the birds are not reacting. :mad:

Thats what I think too.
I mean when peoples dogs rush you at the door do you automatically think
"oh these dogs are ridiculously rude and badly behaved they must be awful pets How do you live with them?"

No you don't, you know thats a normal behavior when guests come in and they are curious excited (if barking/hiding-frightened)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My birds have severe 'stranger danger" its so bad, people dont really visit that often, but when they do the birds just flip out. After wards all is fine....

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
:hug8:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Jasper talks a LOT when people are over, more than he ever does when just I'm home. But only if multiple people are over. If it's just one person (other than his favorite friend of mine) he's silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.