• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Penny's New Adventure...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well its our 2 week anniversary!

Penny had a major breakthru this weekend.

She is stepping up & hanging out!

Last night for the first time she choose her new flagstone from @Danita to make her sleep perch!!!!

:bliss::yahoo:

She was up there last night when I went to bed & she was still up there when I got up!!!

Snapped this photo this morning of Ms Sleepy Penny...

Platform perch P1030769 small red.jpg

Now both my birds seems have discovered the joys of the platform!!!

Rio has been using a basswood from Danita for about 2 years & its his most coveted possession!!!

Making some corn muffins & I got an idea next time I will make one just for Penny & put is some extra birdy goodies...(Rio Excelejante does not eat these things...we try but he does not like my cookin)

Well better check those muffins!!!!

Yummy...Penny likes!!!! She gets a few chunks from the top without butter!!!

Stone ground coarse corn meal with no flour just eggs baking powder, soda, buttermilk & spoon of honey...
corn muffin P1030771 red.jpg

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Penny is a lucky girl! Rio too. The corn muffin looks so good!!! :D

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Well its our 2 week anniversary! Penny had a major breakthru this weekend. She is stepping up & hanging out!
:wow: Has it really been 2 weeks already? That went by so fast! And you kind of glossed over the best part of your post. I'm happy that she likes her flagstone perch and cornbread, but I want to hear everything about this stepping up and hanging out business! :yes3:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
It's on page 7 & 8 on my long Pennys on her way thread.

Penny's On Her Way Sunday 4/29/18 | Page 7 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Shes agile & quick.

Slipped passed me Friday when I was putting in new papers.

Was not ready for it so had to make the hallways safe & shut doors.

She walked around & found a box to make a hole in.

I put some paper on the floor with a carrot & she munched on that.

Was not sure how to get her back without having a negative moment to offset her progress so just relaxed & thought on it & waited to see what would happen.

I think she climbed up her cage & got on top.
I heard the mailman outside & luckily he just left the packages wo knocking or ringing as I did not want to have her spook off the top of the cage.

Checked outside what was delivered & went back in.
Then I thought I saw the palm but so went out & brought them in.
Opened them & I had ordered a perch.

She then climbed down again for more adventure so after a while I took the new perch & offered it to her & with a few tries she stepped up & I put her back & gave her a palmnut.

Can't remember exactly when it happened but later that evening I opened the door to talk & she quickly took the opportunity to crawl out.
I offered her my arm when she was on the playtop & she got on but she scampered up onto my shoulder which was not where I wanted her. I put my shoulder /back to the cage & finally she got off.

Yesterday I opened the door & talked & gave her my arm/hand & she stepped up so I took her out & put her on the playtop.

She decided it was more fun on the floor so she climbed down & I had to set up the barriers again...She found her box & redesigned the hole!

I rather she use the playtop now & I set up a playstation next to the cage.
I took the perch again & it took a few tries but she stepped up & I put her back on the playtop.
She took to climbing down around the cage & I put the perch close when she was going to try to crawl down to the floor. Spoke to her & told her she'd have to stay on the cage.
Then I told her to go back & she crawled into the cage!!!!

Phew!!!!

I just want to set boundaries so she will know whats good & try to do it without getting into a situation where there is any negativity...

Think we are doing pretty good!!!! Especially since I read she does not step up on perches...

:fairy2:

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's on my long Pennys on her way thread.

Think we are doing pretty good!!!! Especially since I read she does not step up on perches... :fairy2:

Thank you, I went back and read them. I must have missed the alerts. :) And I'm glad the two of you have accomplished the "impossible", it seems that with enough patience she certainly does step up on perches!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She's amazing. What was it she said? It sounded like she was telling you a secret. :)

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I always thought Hawkheads were awesome, Penny made want to move forward with a second bird. I have wanted another bird in the house just so Louise has company. I have no expectations that she and another bird would bond but could talk/make noise back and forth. I have so enjoyed Penny's videos. There is a good video on youtube that shows a temper tantrum and how the owner handles it. You can tell she has really worked with her bird but still respected the temper tantrums, just tried to direct the bird to where it could be angry without hurting anyone or her other birds. It was one angry bird! back to Penny, she is lovely and I also would like to know what she said in the video. I bet the folks from whom you adopted are thrilled with the match and can see the wonderful care and love for her.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I always thought Hawkheads were awesome, Penny made want to move forward with a second bird. I have wanted another bird in the house just so Louise has company. I have no expectations that she and another bird would bond but could talk/make noise back and forth. I have so enjoyed Penny's videos. There is a good video on youtube that shows a temper tantrum and how the owner handles it. You can tell she has really worked with her bird but still respected the temper tantrums, just tried to direct the bird to where it could be angry without hurting anyone or her other birds. It was one angry bird! back to Penny, she is lovely and I also would like to know what she said in the video. I bet the folks from whom you adopted are thrilled with the match and can see the wonderful care and love for her.

Its almost like Penny is a kindred spirit! You have a grey.////very expressive!
Penny likes her own vids. She whistles to them.

She stepped up again tonight twice then did the shoulder bot I got her back o the cage.

She went back in herself tonight & looks like she will be using the flagstone as her night perch. She brings alot of joy into my life/.

:chipmunks:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She's amazing. What was it she said? It sounded like she was telling you a secret. :)

Don;t know what she said but have heard something similar twice now & its in some sort of whisper like its a secret!!! The first time I thought she said something about a mirror...sort of cryptic & was kind of erry!!!! My Penny the seersayer!!!

:joyful:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny had some glorious California sunshine!!!

I had to pull her large cal cage outside!!! Its taller than I am...

Penny thought it was funny!!! I not so much...LOL

I struggled to move the cage & she would laugh!!!

It was worth my broken back but thats enough for a while.

Next time when she is able to safely get in the poquito &'ll take that out but that has no wheels & is heavy too.

This is a time when a small king carrier would be great!

I think she had a nice time!!!

Penny in all her glorious colors!!!

Sun P1030796 red.jpg

Sun P1030823 red.jpg

Sun P1030821 (2) 800X.jpg

Video...in
Sun.

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Beautiful colors in the sun!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tried to see if she would like a bath & misted her a little bit...got her a little damp but she did not really seem overjoyed with it so gave up on that.

It was hilarious how she laughed at me trying to wheel the huge cage back into the apt!!!!

:loveshower:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The same way your boy will look at you. Get your bird, @Sweet Louise. Good for you and at least good talking company for Louise. :yes3:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice day to take her outside for some "fresh" air.
She is really exquisite.