• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Penny Laid An Egg!!!! Scary

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Never saw anything out of the ordinary & put her to bed. She really did not want to go. Then I kept hearing feathers rustling, restless & a few whimpers so I got concerned & had to check her out...I put on the light & she strained a bit & few more whimpers & I was getting really scared a did not know what was wrong & plop! Scary!!!!

Don;t think she has laid an egg in ages...Shes 22/// :omg::faint:

I guess I'll leave it on the bottom/ ITs not fertlile...She does go down there & messes around on the bottom sometimes...\\

I hope that's it!!!! Its on the bottom...pretty big...She went back to her platform bed...I'll let her rest...I'm still up...

Hope thats it...Have been giving her some sun...Will have to figure it out...

I'm going Australia next month. I might have to bpard her at the vet,,,

Poor Sweetie...Hope she feels better now & thats it so she can sleep... :nervous:

Last edited:

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Saya laid an egg last year, I was in a total panic due to her age and medical conditions. So she had no more soft foods for a couple weeks and i shortened her light exposure. It was terrifying.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's kudos to you. It means that you have gotten her healthy enough and happy enough to think about laying eggs.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
:hug4:Big hugs to you and Penny. Hopefully she is done.:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Watching a parrot laying an egg is pretty scary - especially if you are not expecting an egg. Glad Penny laid it with no issues :) Hope she´s resting well and recovering :hug9:

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh wow. I feel your fear! I posted here in a panic when my Tiel laid an egg out of the blue only like a week after bringing her home. :faint: I hope Penny feels better <3

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad none are both boys

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
First time I saw a bird lay an egg. I knew something was off as she is usually quiet in her bed. I turned on the light to check on her & open her sheet more...Was scared to death she was having a heart attack or something..I was right by her side & luckily it came out,,,big plop.
Have not touched it or tied to bring attention to it but just snapped a photo.

Right no soft breakfast this morning..

She was rubbing her vent on her calcium perch thi morning as she has done in the past month or so.

Hope thats it & she has no interest in the egg. I'll have to move it when I change her papers & then replace it. I don;t think she even knows it there but I don;t want to bring attention to it or remove it if it might make her want to make more...

Its pretty large about 1 1/2 inches

Yes, would be interesting to have a baby Hawkhead...Don;t think she is interested in Rio & likely would not produce a vital chick but a red bellied hawkhead would be something to see...

Penny seems to be fine but have to keep a close eye on her. Least I have a month & hopefully thats her last egg for a long while..

Penny 2 13 20  20200213_121548 red.jpg

Attachments

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So whats the story...not possible to fertilize an egg once its laid??? I mean needle insertion or something.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Should I remove this calcium plat form perch where she seems to be haveing fun with her vent? I guess she might find another place. Oh shes done...Best not to take notice or react to her as she might get the idea its a good thing to get attentiion. Just keeping my out for any distress..

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
First time I saw a bird lay an egg. I knew something was off as she is usually quiet in her bed. I turned on the light to check on her & open her sheet more...Was scared to death she was having a heart attack or something..I was right by her side & luckily it came out,,,big plop.
Have not touched it or tied to bring attention to it but just snapped a photo.

Right no soft breakfast this morning..

She was rubbing her vent on her calcium perch thi morning as she has done in the past month or so.

Hope thats it & she has no interest in the egg. I'll have to move it when I change her papers & then replace it. I don;t think she even knows it there but I don;t want to bring attention to it or remove it if it might make her want to make more...

Its pretty large about 1 1/2 inches

Yes, would be interesting to have a baby Hawkhead...Don;t think she is interested in Rio & likely would not produce a vital chick but a red bellied hawkhead would be something to see...

Penny seems to be fine but have to keep a close eye on her. Least I have a month & hopefully thats her last egg for a long while..

View attachment 328288
WOW!! She is so beautiful! That is scary, just happy she laid it with no problem

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So I estimate the egg was laid about 1/2 hr to an hour before I posted
I was watching her & gave her her a cup of water with crushed ice for her to chew. She likes that & I thought it would be refreshing & take her mindoff the egg. It worked she drank, nibbled & went back to bed.

I was in shock for about an hour myself...

So say Wed 2/12 at 10 PM..
Its been 2 1/2 days since the 1st egg...there is a chance thats it then as they are usually a day or 2 apart but its still too close to call but I feel better today then I did yesterday watching her...

She uses a calcium oerch to rub her vent...Is she mating with it? Maybe I should remove it??? She coudl use something else but maybe not????

Hmmmm...she sort of uses it as a ladder to get to her bed platform...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, was not sure last night if I heard a bit of rustling. Not much & did not want to disturb her. I took a bath at about 1:30AM then sat some more in the living room & things were quiet. I still was a bit unsettled but nothing I could do anyway or reason to disturb her at 3AM so went to bed.

Got up & no more eggs yet since Wed 10PM. She is acting fine & was just rubbing her vent again on that platform. I am seriusly thinking of removing it if it get her mind on egg mode but its been in there for hmmm how long have I had her...going on close to 2 years in May 2020.

So about 3 1/2 days since the first egg.

Thanks for thinking of Penny...my sweet angel :angel6: