• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pembroke Welch Corgi

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Does anyone have a Pembroke Welch Corgi and how are they around your parrots? Does your have any medical issue and what are they? I asked about a Golden Retriever but decided against them. I have a toy/mini aussie who is great and will probably stick with an aussie but wanting to weight my options.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Every dog is going to be different (obviously) but to have the best chance you definitely want to look at the breed's heritage.

Avoid any terriers. They were typically bred for hunting and killing small animals.
Avoid sport/hunting breeds (retrievers, hounds, spaniels, etc) because they were obviously bred for hunting and birding.

I would say to be very cautious of herding breeds, but aussie and corgis are both herders and it seems to have worked for you so far.
Herders ideally shouldn't have much drive to KILL small animals but part of herding is nipping and basically terrorizing the herd into obeying them. Could be a bad instinct to have and cause accidents.

Livestock guardians can be good because they've been bred for a very long time to watch and protect flocks and herds, definitely not nip, chase or kill them. But even some LGDs have been known to kill chickens.

With corgis, you also have the benefit of the short legs so as long as your birds are caged they are safer.

Edit: my dog is mostly pyranees, a livestock guardian breed, and he is very calm around the birds. I still never let them out at the same time - but he clearly just considers them part of the family rather than something he wants to yet at.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I grew up with a variety of dogs including corgis. They are really lovely dogs! We never had birds growing up, but they had a tendency to herd us into the kitchen when we got up in the mornings. They also would go after a variety of small animals that dared to wander into the farm yard (chipmunks etc). They would always excitedly watch the birds playing outside through the bay window. Now that I have birds, a corgi is not a pup I would add to the mix.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Does your have any medical issue and what are they?
I have 2 shihtzu Maltese mixes and they don’t bother my bird. But that’s because I don’t let them close enough to interact. Also just going to put this out there. All dogs develop issues eventually. Some even special to their breed. Pretty sure I mentioned this on your other thread.
That’s all the advice I can give.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
My experience has been that corgis are so popular that there are a lot of very poorly bred ones out there and it seems difficult to find one that is stable physically and mentally. I know someone who is at least a year into the search for a corgi breeder who meets pretty basic standards in terms of health testing the parent dogs- it seems to be just irresistible for a lot of them to produce puppies/$$$ without checking mom and dad for basic stuff like TWO INCH OVERBITES. I have SEEN some stuff lol

Reactions: tka

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Retrievers & corgis seem like very different dogs to me. I like this book, "Your Purebred Puppy: A buyer's guide". This person has a website too. I have never been in a position work wise to have a dog, but this person is honest. I'm not a dog person, but she mentions things to consider no one else does - health & temperament wise. I also like the Pedigree Dogs Exposed blog.

maggock

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I don't have a Pembroke but I do have a Cardigan. He is generally very laid back with the birds, and even a little scared of them (despite never have been bitten, I think he still knows they can bite hard!) I think Cardigans have a more calm personality than Pembrokes (all the Pembrokes he's met have been a little... feisty.) I also personally like Cardigans because their tails don't get docked, and also because they're not as popular, they're not as overbred.

He has no medical issues but I made sure to get him from a breeder that tests for all the things corgis are prone to. And he's also only 5 so something may still crop up in the future.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I have dogs and cats and while none of them bother Walter, I never leave them alone in the same room unless Walter is in his cage. One thing I do teach all of my dogs is the "leave it" command. I really really really enforce this. It saved Walters life once when his cage was not correctly latched and he escaped. It also saved the lives of several chickens as I was screaming to my terrier (yes terrier mix) dog when the chicken jumped the six foot fence into the dog yard. So no matter what breed, proper training can help prevent a train wreck.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I had Corgis from age 10 until my last one died just a few years ago. I can’t tell you how much I love them. To me they’re the perfect breed.
Corgis are very intelligent so teaching them down or leave it should be easy.
I sold a puppy to someone who wanted him as a companion at her chicken farm operation and he did great.
I use “leave it” for my cocker spaniel, and I’ve also taught her to lay down when the bird flutters around.