• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets?

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
I am an Ekkie, enthusiast but do not yet have my own ekkie bird.

I do feed mostly raw to my flock. Pellets are offered very sparingly. This is because of kidney health with my little mutation parrotlets. If the bulk of your diet is raw the risk from pellets is greatly reduced. Pellets are good nutritional supplements and contain all vitamins. Hari is an option that some members of the parrot society go with. I also have vetafarm for some of my flock, but like you I am not convinced it is the best option.

Going raw does take a lot of commitment and you must be prepared for that. I prep fresh foods every single morning. They are offered sprouts daily. Every afternoon I clean the cage and all the dishes go through the dishwasher.

Variety is more important than quantity. Rich green veg is important: Silverbeet, Brussel sprouts, beans, broccoli, the list goes on. Fruits And veg rich in vitamin a: mango, carrot, passion fruit,
I already prepare fresh fruits and vegetables for my other pets , they get pellets twice a week maybe (herbivores safe for bird+ kept separate most of the time but they ignore other animals 100%)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I already prepare fresh fruits and vegetables for my other pets , they get pellets twice a week maybe (herbivores safe for bird+ kept separate most of the time but they ignore other animals 100%)
That is great! It is much easier to add a veggie nut diet pet when you are already in the routine! Very good.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sounds like bunnies!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Is it a king quail those guys can be highly territorial so keeping a single isn't a bad idea. People can underestimate those little nuggets :)

Did you want me to PM you the sprout mix peeps? They are north of Gympie so a bit far, they mail it to me, pretty easy and they are very nice people. Let me know.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Are you able to get Goldenfeast? The Golden Obles are Ekkie safe. There is over 40 Ingredients in it.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Is it a king quail those guys can be highly territorial so keeping a single isn't a bad idea. People can underestimate those little nuggets :)

Did you want me to PM you the sprout mix peeps? They are north of Gympie so a bit far, they mail it to me, pretty easy and they are very nice people. Let me know.
Shes a coturnix she used to have a sister but she passed away recently leaving her all alone she was raised on a malnourishing diet as a chick so she is slightly crippled and finds it hard to walk sometimes but shes still sorta happy, when i get my ekkie i might introduce them see if they can be friends

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Are you able to get Goldenfeast? The Golden Obles are Ekkie safe. There is over 40 Ingredients in it.
Ive found some golden obles on amazon that ships here and theyre only 48cents more expensive so i guess ill be buying them lol does anyone know the use by date i might have to stock up :joyful: B369DBBC-DF0A-4031-BF55-FF02E4960846.png

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors

I can get sprout mixes easy pellets even hay for my bunnies is hard to find what you guys feed i have to feed them oaten instead of timothy because timothy is just incredibly expensive and only comes in small bags, it’s ridiculous really (plus i cant EVER get a hamster their illegal because theyre not from here basically

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
When I had buns, I had to use pellets (alfalfa, and the "rabbit chow") sometimes. By then I didn't have hay for livestock, and couldn't find good hay here consistently. It's a lot of the reason I didn't keep them. Those tiny bags make me cringe... Especially coming from a ranch where we had acres of it. There's also a big steam pressed alfalfa pellet (1.5" x up to 4" - inches) here, they're sold in the horse section of feed stores, called "cubes." Do you have anything like that? It's as close to hay as you can find in pelleted form.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
When I had buns, I had to use pellets (alfalfa, and the "rabbit chow") sometimes. By then I didn't have hay for livestock, and couldn't find good hay here consistently. It's a lot of the reason I didn't keep them. Those tiny bags make me cringe... Especially coming from a ranch where we had acres of it. There's also a big steam pressed alfalfa pellet (1.5" x up to 4" - inches) here, they're sold in the horse section of feed stores, called "cubes." Do you have anything like that? It's as close to hay as you can find in pelleted form.
They like theyre oaten its got greeny bits and they come running for it, i just felt like taking a dig at the government :roflmao:lol plus the pellets in australia although hard to find and somewhat expensive are very good quality and have everything necessary for what they are meant for.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Ive found some golden obles on amazon that ships here and theyre only 48cents more expensive so i guess ill be buying them lol does anyone know the use by date i might have to stock up :joyful: View attachment 325497
Most of the ones I get in for my store should all now have Versele Laga on the sticker. Date codes should run into 2021.

There is also a 64 oz container of them as well.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I can get sprout mixes easy pellets even hay for my bunnies is hard to find what you guys feed i have to feed them oaten instead of timothy because timothy is just incredibly expensive and only comes in small bags, it’s ridiculous really (plus i cant EVER get a hamster their illegal because theyre not from here basically

One of my friends has some rescue piggies (guinea pigs of course), the timothy hay is outrageously expensive! I wasn't sure how new you were to birds, so I am glad you are already stitched up with sprout mix. My birds really go bonkers for the sprouted mung beans, cute little buggers :)

Check out this website. They have great customer service also, don't hesitate to message them via the chat.
Pellets

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Be very careful giving an ekkie pellets. Mine do not get any! Stick with about 80% fresh fruit (they love berries, diced apples, banana, softer fruits are best), add plenty of orange colored veggies (they prefer soft foods, so steam or boil veggies), and protein servings twice a week (boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, nuts). Their digestive system is very different from any other species of bird. Their health and/or feathering will suffer if fed a standard birdie diet!!!

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Ive realised that birds are wild animals and have come to the conclusion that i will not add to the keeping of birds as pets but help birds that need a home because someone else didn’t realise this, as such i will be adopting a bird rather that buying from a petshop or breeder.
I have found a few eclectuses that need new homes and i will be looking into them! ;) :heart: