• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets selection for baby GW

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
Hello everyone i have these pellets available in my country please recommend one for my 16 weeks old GW macaw.
nutriblend by vetafarm
Psittacus Omega
Macaw nuts vetafarm
Tropican high performance pellets
Psiitacus omega has the highest amount of fat and proteins and he is currently on psittacus high energy plus hand feed.
120ml twice a day.
also is it a good idea to make a pellets puree and feed him once a day through syringe until he starts eating on his own? Thanks!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tropican seems like the best choice from what you’ve listed. I wouldn’t bother with feeing the pellets by syringe. The formula should provide everything the little one needs. Now is a good time to start introducing chopped vegetables and a small bit of fruit. You could add the pellets to the chop. The moisture would soften them some and make them easier to eat.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Michael loves his Tropican pellets.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves his vetafarm pellets! I no longer get the vetafarm macaw nuts as more end up wasted than eaten with them being so big- I get the vetafarm South American Mix and the vetafarm nutriblend which I mix up with some other pellet brands.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
H
Burt loves his vetafarm pellets! I no longer get the vetafarm macaw nuts as more end up wasted than eaten with them being so big- I get the vetafarm South American Mix and the vetafarm nutriblend which I mix up with some other pellet brands.
[/QUOTE
Hows the South American mix? Do they accept it easily?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It has no dyes or flavours. Burt eats it fine and other people I know of with birds have had no problems with it. Many breeders and large flock owners here in Australia feed it, probably because it’s made here, is always in stock and is fairly reasonably priced.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
It has no dyes or flavours. Burt eats it fine and other people I know of with birds have had no problems with it. Many breeders and large flock owners here in Australia feed it, probably because it’s made here, is always in stock and is fairly reasonably priced.
Does it have enough fat content for a growing GW? Thats my main concern.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't worry yourself too very much about enough fats. Some how a large portion of macaws get too much fat and end up with atherosclerosis in their mid-teens. Fats are a significant problem with almost all parrots. From what I've seen about what you feed him the excess of fruits (high in sugars which metabolizes into fat when not used for energy immediately) that you feed him are probably giving him and excess of fats.

I was given my female GW at 6 1/2 years of age and she was diagnosed with sever atherosclerosis 3 months after I got her.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't worry yourself too very much about enough fats. Some how a large portion of macaws get too much fat and end up with atherosclerosis in their mid-teens. Fats are a significant problem with almost all parrots. From what I've seen about what you feed him the excess of fruits (high in sugars which metabolizes into fat when not used for energy immediately) that you feed him are probably giving him and excess of fats.

I was given my female GW at 6 1/2 years of age and she was diagnosed with sever atherosclerosis 3 months after I got her.

This is a sad thing! I know one day I'll loose my Amazon due to many, many years of peanuts & seeds from his atherosclerosis. :(