• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets, pellets, pellets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
I've been trying to expand my tiel's "palate" over the last few months. She came to me 6 1/2 years ago on solely seed and millet. It was fun trying to simply introduce pellet into Lucina's diet and she absolutely refused anything else for a long time. I've been successful recently at getting her to start eating Volkman's Soak and Serve, though of course she doesn't eat all of it. She picks out the ones she likes best so this would never do as her main diet. I was able to get her to start eating it by placing it in the same bowl as her pellet. Then she began tossing the pellet out the cage and on the floor of the cage in order to get to what she wanted. Now she gets pellet and Volkman's in separate dishes. She also has another dish on the bottom of the cage for "snacks" (i.e. bread, seed, nuts) but she doesn't get much of these because she'll fill up on them.

Now that I've been able to get her to eat an ever expanding diet, I'm wondering if her pellet is the best. I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs and since you can't make a bird eat all it's fruit and vegetables as you would a child, she's most likely going to always have some amount of pellet in her diet. She's currently on Zupreme Natural and I had considered switching her to Lafeber's but after looking at the ingredients, it didn't seem as good. Is there one that is better that what she's on now?

Looking forward to suggestions!

Tonya :hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
All of my birds eat Lafebers and I have been really happy with it. I used to feed Fruitblend but they would pick out certain colors and leave some colors and their poop was very smelly and all crazy colored. I also give nutriberries.

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
my 'tiel eats ZuPreem Naturals and a little bit of Harrison's AL Fine and he eats them well but does prefer the zupreem more and will usually eat all the zupreem before eating any of the harrioson's

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
it is NOT necessary to change her diet to pellets if you give other fresh veggies, pasta, brown rice and other goodies...pellets alone are not enough unless you supplement with the other good stuff..so if you cannot get her on pellets donot worry too much as it so unds like she eats a good round of other foods.

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
You misunderstood. She is just now eating fresh foods and doesn't eat enough of them so I want to make sure she is eating the best pellets until I can get her to eat more fresh foods.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh, I see what you mean....I heard Harrisons are really good..mine hate pellets but they get the veggies and stuff they do eat..but I have heard good things about Harrisons.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Mine loves Roudybush California blend; that was what she was weaned on. My vet said Harrison's has something (sorry, can't remember what) that is really good for them, that Roudybush doesn't have, so he recommended either switching her to Harrison's or giving her 2 Harrison's Power Treats per day (to get that missing something). I really like the ingredients in TOPS pellets, and the fact that it is cold-pressed. Right now I have started mixing the 3 pellets together. I figure the more kinds of pellets she'll eat, the better for me if I ever run out and can't get the only one she likes. Of course, she gets lots of fresh foods too.

Status
Not open for further replies.