• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets or seed?

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
Which is better for birds pellets or seed? I have heard negative weight issues about seed and negative liver issues with both seed and pellet as well as mental issues with pellets.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If 15 people comment you'll get 15 different answers ;) The only thing they will agree on is that a diet made only of seeds is hazardous to their health, and a diet of only pellets is too taxing on the system.

What kind of bird (s) do you have? That matters.

For most species, they benefit from pellets in the diet simply because seed only diets are lacking in calcium, Vitamin A and Vitamin D3. They also are high in fat which isn't as big of an issue of weight as it is for heart disease.

If your bird gets those vitamins and minerals from another source (vegetables + unfiltered sunlight several times a week year round, or a multivitamin), then they may do okay on a whole food diet. That is, veggies, grains, a bit of fruit and some seed.

For me, my bird does not eat veggies and can only get sunlight a few months a year, so pellets are essential to his health. He came to me on a seed only diet and was very ill because of it.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine too came to me on seeds only for 23-25 yrs & his vascular system is a fright. His eyesight is also damaged from it. But certain species need more seeds than others. Need more information... You may want to read & learn sprouting. It's the best delivery for seeds & mix in fresh veggies & fruit secondary to that. Pellets as @Mizzley said in moderation to the rest portion of the diet.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Depends on the species. We constantly strive to keep a bird's diet as similar to the wild as we can with the ingredients available.
Budgies are granivores, meaning they eat largely seeds/grains in the the wild. While this is fine for a wild & free bird it's too much for a captive bird. So we thin the diet somewhat with pellets and veges.
An all seed diet for a budgie is bad for everywhere, an all pellet diet is bad (eventually) for the kidneys.
If you're talking about your budgies, 25-35% seed, 25-35% pellet and the rest veg & fruit.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Puddles02 owns two Budgies.

An all seed diet is very dangerous for your birds health. There are special pellets for Budgies and I recommend you look into them. Please stay with the better brands (Harrison's, Roudybush, Caitec, Laebers) and away from the less researched brands. I did not include Zupreem because it contains sugar and sugar is very bad for your bird - especially feeding it for many years.

There are a lot of choices in the four brands above and you can find a lot of information about all of them on the internet.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I’m also assuming you’re asking about budgies from your profile pic. As everyone has stated, variety really is the key for most species.
I have 2 budgies and have worked the last several months on getting them on the best diet possible. They’ve finally accepted pretty much everything I serve up. And it shows in their shiny, beautiful plumage.
Just don’t get discouraged! Mine refused all the fresh veg I hung daily for at least a month or 2, now they RUN to them :)
They are currently eating:
Harrison’s Super fine pellets, for seeds I rotate between several quality brands for variety- Goldenfeast has 3 budgie size varieties and they include a TON of various seeds, grains, nuts, dried veggies etc They get fresh soaking wet veg hung from the roof of the cage a few times a day and sprouts daily also.
It is a process, but eventually you’ll find what works for you. Just be sure to give lots of options and keep trying :highfive:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I can’t believe I forgot to mention this: another great way to add/ introduce veg is with freeze dried products. Avian Organics and Bodacious Birdie Bites make incredible fd products. I started by crumbling them on top of regular foods and they love it :joyful:

kingkrab

Moving in
Which is better for birds pellets or seed? I have heard negative weight issues about seed and negative liver issues with both seed and pellet as well as mental issues with pellets.
Please give them real food including: chopped carrots, oranges, apples, grapes, parsley, pasta sometimes, cooked organic brown rice, edamame, cooked peas, corn. You will injure them with a seed diet. Pellets should be given in addition to real food. It would be like us eating 1 kind of food our whole lives. Birds need variety in their diets. Don’t give them avocado, apple seeds, or chocolate for example. That’ll kill them.

Dorcas George

Good advice! I’m mixing it up, best I can. Just now (after seven months!) getting one of my budgies to try veggies. It took six months for him to try pellets. Now in the a.m. we have veggies, other “real” food (very limited success but I will keep trying) and pellets. In evening, seeds. It has taken patience and consistency to get to this point. Oh, freeze dried veggies in the seeds has worked as well. Somewhat, anyway.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I also feed a variety for my lovebird, conure, and two linnies. They eat Roudybush pellets, a little seed mix, freeze dried veggies alternated with fresh chop and here and there a berr or two or a small piece of apple.