• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Pellets - Ingredients and formation

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good morning (or afternoon in Europe or evening in Oz)!

I have attached a picture of the ingredient list of the pellets I currently give my budgie boys. They are quite picky, and I had to purchase a separate coffee grinder to turn the pellets to powder and mix with their seed to get them to eat it. Anyway....

Do these ingredients check all the boxes? Or at least most of the boxes? And, would these be a good base pellet for a future bird added to my flock (to be determined at a future date)?

Pellets.jpg

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These are TOPs pellets, correct? They don't contain a source of vitamin D so your birds either need to be in unfiltered sunlight every day (i.e. not through glass) or you need to give them a vitamin supplement.

@Mizzely has a good overview of pellets here

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, no, not Tops. I bought these from BirdTricks. And thank you for the Vitamin D information! I try to get them in front of an open/screened window every day. Sadly, we've had a ton of rain here lately.

I'm currently working on getting them accustomed to a smaller, sturdy cage to take them outside, too!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best pellet is the one they'll eat, do well on and that they can afford.

My check boxes for a "perfect pellet" is no sugar, no dye, and fortified with D3.

TOPS claims alfalfa and seaweed contains D3, but the amount they provide is very low.

I don't think they are a bad part of the diet, but I've never had a bird actually eat them. :lol: Even my rats won't eat them (but they hate alfalfa)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, no, not Tops. I bought these from BirdTricks. And thank you for the Vitamin D information! I try to get them in front of an open/screened window every day. Sadly, we've had a ton of rain here lately.

I'm currently working on getting them accustomed to a smaller, sturdy cage to take them outside, too!
Bird Tricks sells TOPS repackaged under their own label

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, Mizzely! Edited to add, that's good to know. Because I did not know that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This may help: Vitamin D3 for Our Birds

UVB is necessary for D3 production. Windows and screens are designed to block UVB to protect items inside your house (and you!). So there is little to no benefit in terms of D3 production sitting in front of a window with glass or screen.