• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets for an Amazon

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also,what is "ash" in pellets?I've seen it be in a lot of pellet brands after looking through the pellet page.
Minerals, inorganic matter, etc. It's what is left over if you were to remove all the fat, protein, and carbs.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Minerals, inorganic matter, etc. It's what is left over if you were to remove all the fat, protein, and carbs.
so is it good or bad?How many % should it be?Is 3%+- ok?

me spending time on AA at 12 13am...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You do not need "turkey" to convert a bird over to a healthier diet. Switching "cold turkey" simply means that you just stop something altogether. When someone quits smoking "cold turkey", they didn't wean themselves off of it, they didn't use nicotene patches, they didn't switch to another product.... they simply stopped smoking.

IMO, when it comes to switching a birds diet "cold turkey", it's not a good idea at all unless the bird readily accepts the diet changes. If they aren't used to the new foods, then they might simply starve themselves... and if you aren't there to make sure that the bird is eating the new food, then do not use that method at all.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
You do not need "turkey" to convert a bird over to a healthier diet. Switching "cold turkey" simply means that you just stop something altogether. When someone quits smoking "cold turkey", they didn't wean themselves off of it, they didn't use nicotene patches, they didn't switch to another product.... they simply stopped smoking.

IMO, when it comes to switching a birds diet "cold turkey", it's not a good idea at all unless the bird readily accepts the diet changes. If they aren't used to the new foods, then they might simply starve themselves... and if you aren't there to make sure that the bird is eating the new food, then do not use that method at all.
I agree there, go gradual. Work it in. Birds understand routine, and your changing up the routine. Going all out changing , could confuse the bird.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I tend to mix different pellets and a tiny bit of good seed mix together so that there is always something to recognise as food; plus add my own pieces of organic nuts, goji berries, pasta pieces, pumpkin seed, puffed corn, etc. All the Amazons have tried pellets this way. Bobbie's favourite is TOPs, Chico's favourite is Hagen Tropican Parrot Sticks, I also mix in Roudybush (medium which looks quite small but they will choose to eat that rather than the large), Harrisons on and off because nobirdie likes them, Psitticus (Ollie suddenly took a liking to these - not sure if I will buy these again). I stopped Zupreem because of the sugar. Kobe (Pionus) is the only one who prefers seed. With their dry bowls, as I call them, I only just cover the bottom of the bowl with dry food. They eat mostly fresh food.

I tend to throw my pellets into blender, till powder form and sprinkle or mix into chop.
That is such a good idea, Michael!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Mine like roudybush medium.

They started with zupreem natural and roudybush at the same time. They picked and chose which they ate. Both are now on roudybush only.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I tend to mix different pellets and a tiny bit of good seed mix together so that there is always something to recognise as food; plus add my own pieces of organic nuts, goji berries, pasta pieces, pumpkin seed, puffed corn, etc. All the Amazons have tried pellets this way. Bobbie's favourite is TOPs, Chico's favourite is Hagen Tropican Parrot Sticks, I also mix in Roudybush (medium which looks quite small but they will choose to eat that rather than the large), Harrisons on and off because nobirdie likes them, Psitticus (Ollie suddenly took a liking to these - not sure if I will buy these again). I stopped Zupreem because of the sugar. Kobe (Pionus) is the only one who prefers seed. With their dry bowls, as I call them, I only just cover the bottom of the bowl with dry food. They eat mostly fresh food.

That is such a good idea, Michael!
It is, sometimes you just have to step up your game and find the solution to what works for fussy birds when it comes to proper diet.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I tend to buy brands made for smaller parrots. My zon prefers things small. If I get things made for zons or larger parrots she won't eat it. Go figure.:wacky:
Yes,I've seen Puff sometimes purposely break off parts of the Zupreem pellets and only eat the last bits,or the tinier pellets that Zupreem has.
So now I just need a good seed diet.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Is sunflower seed,quinoa,millet sprout a good start?Also what are those white seeds that are about the same size just slightly smaller than sunflower seeds?Could I sprout them?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Is sunflower seed,quinoa,millet sprout a good start?Also what are those white seeds that are about the same size just slightly smaller than sunflower seeds?Could I sprout them?
As for sunflower seeds, I'd go in moderation. Sunflower seeds contain fat. Quinoa And sprouts are good. As for the white seed, not sure what one your referring to. I'll leave that up to someone else with more seed experience.
With my zon, she recently had a bad fungal infection, and is recovering nicely. But she can't have any nuts of any kind, apart from an occasional walnut. And her seeds in very low moderation. For now....

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
We tried several brands on Lucy my YNA, the only one she would touch was the Hagens Tropican.
She has been on it 4 years now and loves it

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I did not see the "small parrots" sign. ;)
Some birds like a size that is designed for another sized bird ;)

Switching "cold turkey" simply means that you just stop something altogether
Not long after I got Sydney I quit smoking cold turkey and it was really hard. I would never wish that upon anyone let alone my birds. So I agree with Monica and Michael,
, go gradual. Work it in

?Also what are those white seeds that are about the same size just slightly smaller than sunflower seeds?
Those are called Safflower and yes you can sprout them.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Those are called Safflower and yes you can sprout them.
Good.On second thought I'll just find/make my own seed mix.I've mixed plenty of seed mixes before,with the base of Puff's current seed mix,some little budgie fit pellets ( which he never tries but Molly(she likes small seeds/pellets in general,like super small)likes and I give the seed mix to both.),more corn,walnuts,freeze dried fruits and pine nuts,quinoa,millet and others that I've long forgotton/don't know name.
I've never tried brazil nuts,are they popular among Amazons?They're $12 for about 15-20 so I don't want to risk it.
And how long for safflower seeds?I'll asume an 1cm tail from seed is good enough?Do i deshell them or what?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Are these birds the ones that belong to the hardware store?
Does the owner know you are making all these changes to his birds diet?

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Are these birds the ones that belong to the hardware store?
Yes they are.I don't and am not planning to be owned by any birds at the moment.The owner hardly cares and there is a staff there who cares for the fish/dogs(guard dogs) and birds there and I'm chilling with him.Other than that,I doubt that he would bother(though he might consider them bad having never knew parrots at all)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The owner hardly cares and there is a staff there who cares for the fish/dogs(guard dogs) and birds there and I'm chilling with him.Other than that,I doubt that he would bother
This means no?

I know you are trying to help and your heart is in the right place, but it is a good idea to be very clear and tell the man exactly what you are feeding to his birds. If you accidently give them something toxic or something that they have an allergy to, it will be a big problem for you.
I am just looking out for you so that you can continue to care for these birds, I hope you understand.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Chances are that whatever they are allergic to he would not know.As for toxic,I double check and send photos (I have discovered the camera on my laptop) to double check.I don't think I'll come across any toxic stuff.I'm steering away from peanuts and for sprouts,I'll only use quinoa,sunflower,safflower and millet.I'll also do check-ups to see if I've done wrong via AA.
I know I'm being overconfident here but let me just point this out,this man(owner) has AT LEAST that I've noticed) 3 CCTVs that could watch me 360 degrees.Also,if your definition of 'toxic' is not about the sprouts,I promise that I double check if I start making chop and if the stuff I use is good or if I've left them long too long.
Also,this can only be done when I go back,based on the current situation,late December would be the earliest.I've finished most of the important things in the past few weeks (which was stressful) so I have time.Might need to meet up with some relatives again though.
Let's just say whatever had happened in these weeks was a depressing bunch.I say what it is whenI want to,but for now I'll just chill and try to get myself off that topic.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
But if you insist,@Zara ,I could try.Chances are he won't let me (as in won't listen to me explain the pros) ,furthermore he has no time.Like seriously,I have tried telling him about not putting Old and New World's together and the consequences but he simply skipped the topic.