• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellets diet

Qlt

Checking out the neighborhood
Harrisons High Potency
I want to transition a 7 week quaker to the HP formula.
But according to the link above, does it mean that a quaker should only receive 3-7g a day? That doesn't seem like much food at all.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quaker ate about 1 tbsp of pellets a day which falls within that range :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I guess I thought when I respond or comment to a specific thread, it automatically puts it at the top... guess I've seen it not do that at times tho too?
Yes new comments do it too. Bump is a way to move it up even if you don't have anything to add to the conversation that can help the original poster.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You would post a "bump" if you notice that thread has dropped down pretty far without being answered, but you don't know how to answer the question yourself. It moves the post back to the top and draws attention to encourage others to respond.

Qlt

Checking out the neighborhood
I've also noticed on Harrison's website that their conversion of teaspoons to grams is wildly off between birds. For quakers, 4 tsp of their food is 7g. But for lories, 4 tsp equals 15g? o_O
And they state "birds may eat all they want"?
Couldn't that easily lead to overweight issues, especially on something called "high potency"?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've also noticed on Harrison's website that their conversion of teaspoons to grams is wildly off between birds. For quakers, 4 tsp of their food is 7g. But for lories, 4 tsp equals 15g? o_O
Couldn't that easily lead to overweight issues, especially on something called "high potency"?
Your bird is unlikely to overeat unless they are super bored and having nothing else to do :) I have always free fed food and over 5 birds have had 2 underweight and 3 perfects :lol:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I give my GW macaw 1/3 cup per day along with fresh foods and she eats all except about 10.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use Zupreem fruity pellets, some of mine eat some dont, I offer a side dish of them and also sprinkle them on top of the seed. My birds also eat peas. Carrots, celery, ( string) removed, peeled apples,,only Roma ,,coz they're turds..:cautious:... millet, 12 grain bread, cooked cooled pasta, cooked quinoa, cooked cooled oatmeal, scrambled eggs, spinach, broccoli, occasional corn, celery leaves, occasional banana slice, occasional grapes,,( only dark ones, coz they're turds).:facepalm:... I give much more than they will consume, but. I do throw the " leftovers " out to the wildlife....As, I type this.. I realize the little brats eat better than I do!!:roflmao:

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I use Zupreem fruity pellets, some of mine eat some dont, I offer a side dish of them and also sprinkle them on top of the seed. My birds also eat peas. Carrots, celery, ( string) removed, peeled apples,,only Roma ,,coz they're turds..:cautious:... millet, 12 grain bread, cooked cooled pasta, cooked quinoa, cooked cooled oatmeal, scrambled eggs, spinach, broccoli, occasional corn, celery leaves, occasional banana slice, occasional grapes,,( only dark ones, coz they're turds).:facepalm:... I give much more than they will consume, but. I do throw the " leftovers " out to the wildlife....As, I type this.. I realize the little brats eat better than I do!!:roflmao:
PEELED Apples--- boy, they ARE picky!!! And I have also heard the the celery leaves absorb most of the pesticides [ stalks OK]... so ONLY FEED ORGANIC CELERY LEAVES! :jawdrop1:

They do eat well!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would guess the lorries would have more food weight wise 9even if the grams of pellets is the same) as the chart tells you to add water to the lorries portions- I also think it may be adding in the weight of the suggested supplemented items?