• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet Storage Question.

DeputyMax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David Mudry
I recently bought a package of Rowdybush Crumbles for my cockatiel and when I opened the bag they smelled rancid. The best way to describe the smell was that of fresh paint.
I threw them away and today went to a different supplier and bought another bag which smells nice and fresh. Since I feed Peewee a 50/50 mix of seed and pellets, the bag is a little bit larger than I would have liked so I was wondering if it would be OK to leave about a weeks worth in a sealed plastic container and put the rest in the freezer, or would freezing the pellets hurt them.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can vary by manufacturer, but I always freeze excess pellets that won't be used within a month

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
For the future (and other members...) If you have recently purchased food products that are newly opened and smell or look wrong it is advisable to alert the company and maybe even the supplier- they will usually replace or reimburse you but they will also look into the issue so as to save others from illness caused by their product... they can't know there is a problem with their products or suppliers unless they are alerted.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I keep my food in glass jars too.