• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
What brands do you feed your conures?

I have been feeding my green cheek Zupreem (dye-free) pellets, but I’ve noticed that when he eats these his droppings have a sour smell, and his feathers seem to develop black spots (not entirely sure it’s due to the food or something else though). Either way, the smell alone is enough for me to want to change him to something else.

I changed him for a few months to Lafeber pellets, (until it ran out and my mom picked me up a bag of Zupreem again!), and the smell seemed to stop completely. Also, I think his feathers improved. I switched him back to Zupreem to finish the new bag my mom picked up for him, but his poos smell and his feathers have developed black edges. Otherwise he seems fine and healthy. He eats a daily mix of veggies, legumes and ancient grains as well. He also gets almonds and fruits as treats.

just wondering if anyone had any favorite pellet brands or had the same experience with Zupreem that I have had.

Thanks in advance!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The best pellet is:

1. The one they will eat
2. That they do well on
3. That you can afford

My preference for the best pellet:

1. No artificial dyes
2. No added sugar
3. Vitamin Fortified

Of course my Jardine's has decided Zupreem Fruity is the only pellet for him so I'm striking out on my preferences :lol: But, he's happy and healthy and that's what's most important.

I've never had the issues you've had with Zupreem, but that means it's not the best pellet for your bird and I'd try something else.

There are so many options!

If I had my way, Ripley would be on Harrison's or Hagen Tropican

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert

I have been feeding my green cheek Zupreem (dye-free) pellets, but I’ve noticed that when he eats these his droppings have a sour smell, and his feathers seem to develop black spots (not entirely sure it’s due to the food or something else though). Either way, the smell alone is enough for me to want to change him to something else.

I changed him for a few months to Lafeber pellets, (until it ran out and my mom picked me up a bag of Zupreem again!), and the smell seemed to stop completely. Also, I think his feathers improved. I switched him back to Zupreem to finish the new bag my mom picked up for him, but his poos smell and his feathers have developed black edges. Otherwise he seems fine and healthy. He eats a daily mix of veggies, legumes and ancient grains as well. He also gets almonds and fruits as treats.

just wondering if anyone had any favorite pellet brands or had the same experience with Zupreem that I have had.

Thanks in advance!
My conures daily pellet mix includes roudybush medium size pellets, a small amount of zupreem vegetable pellets, and zupreem all natural pellets! I notice a similarity with his feathers and poop with what is happening with your bird! Thankfully only his morning poops have a smell but the larger his poop is the more noticeable of a sour smell there is! I also have noticed lately that he has a couple of feathers that have developed a couple of black spots, almost like freckles, on them. He usually gets just a couple of these during a certain time of the year, but then will molt it out and it won't return until a certain time of the year. He gets fresh vegetables and fruits daily, so I wasn't deducing if it was his zupreem causing it. What if is the zupreem pellets!? I've always been hesitant to remove the Zupreem because it brings me peace of mind knowing he is getting vitamins to supplement his lifestyle (he won't eat vegetables unless they are chopped small and coating fruit, so I have to trick him to get at least some of the healthy stuff! :wacky:) but now I might consider Harrisons and Tops to replace Zupreem...however Tops brand does not include additional vitamins and minerals so you would have to keep that in mind if that is a necessity! I haven't tried Lafeber's pellets, would you say that are a good option?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Roudybush is also giving vitamins. It's not entirely necessary to provide more than one brand of pellets, but it is good in case there is a recall or a product is discontinued.

Lafeber are a decent pellet option.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
The Roudybush is also giving vitamins. It's not entirely necessary to provide more than one brand of pellets, but it is good in case there is a recall or a product is discontinued.

Lafeber are a decent pellet option.
My sun gets super excited by me offering him more than one type, he makes the cutest excited sounds when he get to choose which one to eat first! :roflmao: That's good to know about the Lafeber!

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors

Thanks in advance!
GM.... now that you mention it maybe it is the Pellets. I feed Pittsburgh Zupreem and her beautiful turquoise feathers are turning black and “she” has a slight smell. I don’t smell it all the time so I’m not sure if it’s the food. I am going to buy another brand and see if there is a change. She has the color pellets but she doesn’t like those so I do t give them to her I think those are KayTee. I’m going to research some other brands. Did you find another yet? How is your GCC doing? I attached a photo of her feathers

Attachments

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I feed all my conures Zupreem. None have black spots on their feathers, and there is no foul smell even in their morning poo. None will eat Roudybush, I bought two bags before I knew that, but the wild ducks ate it fine.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
GM.... now that you mention it maybe it is the Pellets. I feed Pittsburgh Zupreem and her beautiful turquoise feathers are turning black and “she” has a slight smell. I don’t smell it all the time so I’m not sure if it’s the food. I am going to buy another brand and see if there is a change. She has the color pellets but she doesn’t like those so I do t give them to her I think those are KayTee. I’m going to research some other brands. Did you find another yet? How is your GCC doing? I attached a photo of her feathers
Wait, her name is Pittsburgh? That's adorable! :)

Also, here's a VERY BAD joke I came up with and that I can't resist telling, despite my better judgment: "My bird was eating so many seeds that he ended up in a-pellet court" (get it?) :lol:I amuse myself like this on most days, to my coworkers' and friends' chagrin...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you are sure your bird is eating a good amount of fortified pellets and their feathers are growing in Black (vs starting normal, then turning black due to wear and tear), I'd schedule a vet visit before changing pellet brands. Some illnesses limit absorption of nutrients.

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
Wait, her name is Pittsburgh? That's adorable! :)

Also, here's a VERY BAD joke I came up with and that I can't resist telling, despite my better judgment: "My bird was eating so many seeds that he ended up in a-pellet court" (get it?) :lol:I amuse myself like this on most days, to my coworkers' and friends' chagrin...
Lol.... oh my yes I got it. And thank you, yes her name is Pittsburgh.

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
If you are sure your bird is eating a good amount of fortified pellets and their feathers are growing in Black (vs starting normal, then turning black due to wear and tear), I'd schedule a vet visit before changing pellet brands. Some illnesses limit absorption of nutrients.
I’ve taken her to the vet and she said they are fine and did some blood work as well which came back ok. I am noticing the color is starting to come back green. I just wonder what the change was about. I am thinking it may be stress from moving from her old environment to this one. Recently the trust has improved drastically and I see the color coming back. Geee I wish I was a vet... lol

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue and nice to "meet" you and Pittsburgh! Glad to hear the vet visit was ok and that the feather color is improving. Stress is definitely not good (for them or for us, really).

Shelli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly
I mix them up. Bagel has gotten Roudybush, Harrisons (It's just not affordable for us with how fast it goes bad), TOPS, Zupreem fruit and I plan on getting some Tropican next. I want him to be used to all kinds in case there is a time I am unable to get one or another. Our staple is likely going to remain Roudybush or is it.. Roudybusch... eh whatever... you get the idea. We will eventually try the natural zupreem and maybe the nutriberry brand pellets too.. I dunno we'll see.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Right? I've been so stressed out lately that I decided to have a heart-to-heart with my bosses. Had to be honest and respectfully inform them that I've been feeling overworked, under-payed, and under-appreciated. It felt good to tell them that, I have to admit. But all they did after me saying all that was to give me a curious look, stretch their wings, and go back to eating their seeds. All in a day, they must've thought. :lol: But all joking aside, I try to remind myself to take deep breaths throughout the day and let it all go like "water off a duck's back" - easier said than done, but still a helpful goal. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I and a few others have noticed that Zupreem Fruitblend can cause runny (and potentially colorful) droppings. If the bird doesn't have colorful droppings, then I worry what's happening with the dyes in their body?

The Zurpeem Natural did not cause runny droppings...

I've tried other brands but have been using Harrison's for some years now. That said, I haven't fed much if it lately, as I've only been feeding it to one or two birds. The rest of the birds aren't getting pellets at all. Will see how well that works out.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
I feed my lovies zupreem natural currently... I'm thinking switching to harrisons or tops. Also what are the ingredients you put in your chop? I'm a fairly new bird owner... are you supposed to feed your birds by the seasons?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I feed my lovies zupreem natural currently... I'm thinking switching to harrisons or tops. Also what are the ingredients you put in your chop? I'm a fairly new bird owner... are you supposed to feed your birds by the seasons?
What's on sale is usually in season, so that's what I go off of :) My Chop "Recipe"