• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet-free diets

Wolf

Jogging around the block
My birds have been on this diet for three years without any supplements and so far the blood work indicates that there is no malnutrition.

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Well, unfortunately because Zazu has skin problems, I'm trying to eliminate processed foods from his diet. Basically I rely on a little seed and lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies (in addition to sun and/or full spectrum light). Doing well so far in terms of nutrition, no deficiencies yet.

Last edited:

Wolf

Jogging around the block
Have you checked your seed mix to insure that it has no soy in it? I ask because some birds have an allergic reaction to soy and soy products.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Yes, I feed Zazu the Chin Ridge Budgie Premium seed. Minimal ingredients, so I like it.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I also want to buy an easy sprouter or something. I've tried sprouting seeds a few times but I'm doing something wrong because I keep finding mould after soaking. :(

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I also want to buy an easy sprouter or something. I've tried sprouting seeds a few times but I'm doing something wrong because I keep finding mould after soaking. :(

I recommend Sprout People. It's very easy to use.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
This could be the seed that you are trying to germinate. See if you can locate Mung Beans and try them. No Heat and use only fresh water. Rinse and soak every 6hrs this time and see what happens. Normally it is dirty water or poor seed. Or heat.
Once you are up and running you should be able to leave them soaking for 12hrs before needing to rinse.
Did you have a look at my sprouting thread?

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
@clawnz I can't recall if I read your thread in addition to the many other threads I read on sprouting, but chances are I have. I've been doing lots of research on incorporating sprouted seeds into Zazu's diet.
I just don't want to feed him pellets anymore because he's become even sensitive to TOPs, which is pretty hypoallergenic, or so I've heard. But in the past, whenever I removed pellets from his diet for a week then his condition would improve (although not totally resolve, just better than it was before). So I've stopped feeding pellets altogether. Cricket still eats pellets though because I can't rely on her to eat fruits and veggies. She'll take two bites of anything I offer her, if I'm lucky.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Now I came across some interesting info today.
Here in NZ and I am guessing a lot of other countries imported seed is treated. If it is heat treated (85c) the quality will be compromised. So very important that you source local seed.
This may explain why some claim seed tests very poor in vitamin A and reactive Lysine.
Top Flight bird foods have scientific tests showing their local seed is not vitamin A deficient.
I will post report details as this is very important.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
[FONT=Georgia said:
Second, if something happens to me, a new owner might not make chop, sprout seeds, etc., but anyone can feed pellets. My birds wouldn't starve. [/FONT]
Very, very well said and something that we should all think about. Let's face it, some of our birds will out live us.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Cancel my last comments on Topflight.
Just marketing crap. They were not willing to comment or define any real testing done.
What a shame we have to put up with all this marketing rubbish.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
This is a very old thread but I'm going to try and feed just a plain diet of whole foods without pellets or seeds and see what happens. Since my fids have a preference for whole foods it might work.