• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pellet conversion woes

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
hi. I trying to get my green cheeks diet to 50% seed and 50% pellet but for the past few days she prefers the seed and will ignore the pellets. Also, she will only eat the oat groats and ignore the rest of the seed mix. I'm thinking about just putting her back on entirely seed and supplementing it will liquid vitamins again. She's been eating pellet and seed for about 16 days now.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Has she eaten pellets prior? If so I have a trick. Put pellets out in the morning along with all the fresh food. In the afternoon or early evening offer seed. Birds are hungrier in the morning and if they are already familiar with pellets and fresh food they should just start eating it. If given the option most birds go straight to seed first and are too full to eat the pellets. I am not saying to starve a bird, just offer seed later in day.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
So, I'm by no means an expert. But I have seen a lot of people going down this road.

One thing that did confuse me. You said she isn't eating the pellets, but also that she's been eating seeds and pellets for about 16 days. Do you mean that you started offering her pellets 16 days ago, but she hasn't eaten them or that she started eating them but then decided she didn't like them and stopped eating the pellets?

First, it's really helpful to know that this is almost certainly going to be a process that takes time. A few days isn't going to do it unless you happen to get a bird who already eats and likes pellets.

Here are my observations and you can take what seems useful to you.

Starting with where you are:

If you really know your bird isn't touching the pellets, I'd consider continuing the vitamins until you start to see that your bird is eating at least some pellets.

Since you say your bird is picking out favored seeds and only eating those, if you can, I'd start giving the bird smaller portions of the seeds at a time. This is more realistic if you're at home enough of the time that you can periodically check the seed dish and see how she's doing. I used to give my pair a tablespoon of seeds at a time (they're littles, so that's a lot for them). I backed it down to a half tablespoon and I find that they're much more open to eating all the seeds rather than just the ones they like. I'm not at all suggesting letting them go hungry, just that they don't only get to cherry-pick the "good stuff." That won't help with the pellets, but it will at least go towards providing a more balanced diet.

Two other things that might be helpful.

One, if there's a feeding station that your bird prefers, put the pellets there. When my birds were in a cage, I put their pellets in a feeder towards the top - they liked to perch there even when they weren't eating so it made it more likely that they'd take a nibble if they got hungry and just happened to have a supply of pellets right in front of them. Again, if your bird isn't yet eating pellets at all, I'd make sure the seeds are someplace she can get them easily, but just not the "best" spot.

Two, try feeding it moist. My birds came eating pellets (at least somewhat, I wouldn't have tried to make it their only food) but it wasn't their favorite. So for a long time I ignored the suggestions to try feeding moist pellets. But, when I tried it, they really do like that better than when the pellets are hard. It's a little inconvenient, because it isn't safe to leave wet food out all day, but if you're going to be around (or someone is home who can change out their feeding dishes) it's definitely worth trying.

Also, don't assume that because your bird won't eat one pellet that they won't eat pellets at all. My birds say choosy birds choose Roudybush, and that Harrison's is pretty good, too. But, your birds may have different preferences and it may take a little time to find out which ones they like. Also, some birds like one size or consistency more than another, so you may need to experiment even with the same pellet.

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
So, I'm by no means an expert. But I have seen a lot of people going down this road.

One thing that did confuse me. You said she isn't eating the pellets, but also that she's been eating seeds and pellets for about 16 days. Do you mean that you started offering her pellets 16 days ago, but she hasn't eaten them or that she started eating them but then decided she didn't like them and stopped eating the pellets?

First, it's really helpful to know that this is almost certainly going to be a process that takes time. A few days isn't going to do it unless you happen to get a bird who already eats and likes pellets.

Here are my observations and you can take what seems useful to you.

Starting with where you are:

If you really know your bird isn't touching the pellets, I'd consider continuing the vitamins until you start to see that your bird is eating at least some pellets.

Since you say your bird is picking out favored seeds and only eating those, if you can, I'd start giving the bird smaller portions of the seeds at a time. This is more realistic if you're at home enough of the time that you can periodically check the seed dish and see how she's doing. I used to give my pair a tablespoon of seeds at a time (they're littles, so that's a lot for them). I backed it down to a half tablespoon and I find that they're much more open to eating all the seeds rather than just the ones they like. I'm not at all suggesting letting them go hungry, just that they don't only get to cherry-pick the "good stuff." That won't help with the pellets, but it will at least go towards providing a more balanced diet.

Two other things that might be helpful.

One, if there's a feeding station that your bird prefers, put the pellets there. When my birds were in a cage, I put their pellets in a feeder towards the top - they liked to perch there even when they weren't eating so it made it more likely that they'd take a nibble if they got hungry and just happened to have a supply of pellets right in front of them. Again, if your bird isn't yet eating pellets at all, I'd make sure the seeds are someplace she can get them easily, but just not the "best" spot.

Two, try feeding it moist. My birds came eating pellets (at least somewhat, I wouldn't have tried to make it their only food) but it wasn't their favorite. So for a long time I ignored the suggestions to try feeding moist pellets. But, when I tried it, they really do like that better than when the pellets are hard. It's a little inconvenient, because it isn't safe to leave wet food out all day, but if you're going to be around (or someone is home who can change out their feeding dishes) it's definitely worth trying.

Also, don't assume that because your bird won't eat one pellet that they won't eat pellets at all. My birds say choosy birds choose Roudybush, and that Harrison's is pretty good, too. But, your birds may have different preferences and it may take a little time to find out which ones they like. Also, some birds like one size or consistency more than another, so you may need to experiment even with the same pellet.
She was eating the pellets but then stopped. Also I noticed a couple at the bottom of the cage whole.

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
Has she eaten pellets prior? If so I have a trick. Put pellets out in the morning along with all the fresh food. In the afternoon or early evening offer seed. Birds are hungrier in the morning and if they are already familiar with pellets and fresh food they should just start eating it. If given the option most birds go straight to seed first and are too full to eat the pellets. I am not saying to starve a bird, just offer seed later in day.
Yes, I do give pellets and seed at the same time so I'll try this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
16 days is a blink lol. I've had birds take 6 months to eat pellets. Ripley took about 2 years to eat any fresh foods consistently!

Don't give up :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What pellets have you tried ? When transitioning Mojo she wouldnt entertain Lafaber but would eat Roudybush daily mantenance , pretty bird small bird and Harrisons high potency pepper and Harrisons high potency. Another type of pellet might do the trick.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Some pellets seem tastier than other pellets, how many have you tried? Don't give up, who knows when your bird will eat pellets :)

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
What pellets have you tried ? When transitioning Mojo she wouldnt entertain Lafaber but would eat Roudybush daily mantenance , pretty bird small bird and Harrisons high potency pepper and Harrisons high potency. Another type of pellet might do the trick.
Just lafeber. I'll try something else.

Jogging around the block
My lovebirds immediately ate (compared to flinging Vetafarm pellets out of the dish lol..) Harrisons high potency previously being on a seed diet , I think it is well worth it to try a different pellet :)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
That is where I am lucky. Since I have other birds the new ones sees them eating the healthy stuff and will start eating also.