• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peewee Has A Bad Wing

DeputyMax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David Mudry
First, this is my first post so I hope you'll bear with me.
This is Peewee.
Peewee1-ccfopt.jpg
I had wanted a cockatiel and a friend of my wife told her she had a cockatiel that had injured it's wing that I could have.
When I got Peewee I was told that the injury had occurred 5 or 6 weeks before and Peewee was acting normally.
Here's a picture of Peewee's wing
Peewee 2-ccfopt.jpg
I've had Peewee for about five and a half months and beside the wing she (I'm assuming Peewee is a girl) seems perfectly normal. She climbs all over her cage (she's out of her cage about 10 to 12 hrs a day), plays with her toys, stretches and flaps both her wings, and tries to fly but she can only gently glide to the floor.
I feel really bad for Peewee but she seems perfectly content to sit on my shoulder or climb all over her cage all day and shows absolutely no discomfort.
I'm torn between seeing about fixing her wing which I'm afraid would cause her too much stress, or letting her keep enjoying herself as she is.
I'm wondering what you would do in this situation.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would certainly have an avian vet look at that wing. It may be just a simple procedure to fix it.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Welcome to the Avenue. I don't have any advice about her wing but she sure is cute :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I would definitely get a vets advice.
Birds don't always show pain, so it's impossible to know if the wing is causing her any discomfort/pain.
A vet also can advise you on if the injury is totally healed, and whether trying to fix it is a good/bad idea.
She is a cutie, and it sounds like she's found a good place to end up in.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I would get a vets opinion too. Birds are made to fly and if they can safely give that back to her she'd be so happy, plus like said make sure she isn't in pain if she can't be fixed up.
There's a Canadian couple that has Crows and Magpies they rescued over time and raised to adults. One of the crows had a broken wing so the wild life rehab center asked them if they would take him because he could never be released. They eventually realized his wing was badly messed up with some exposed bone so they took him to the vet. They did a operation to repair his wing but it was too badly damaged so they did whatever they had to do to fix up the exposed bone and make it stable and not painful. He happily lives with their flock and they put perches everywhere so he can hop to his favorite spots and hang out with his friends.
In Canada it's legal to have crows and magpies as pets and every one they have was abandoned or hurt so they took them in.
RpetsAndUs if you want to look them up.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with what everyone has said about getting a professional medical opinion.

I thought I would add a story about my own rescue finch who has a bad wing. He is a little zebra finch, we named him Zippy. Somehow his wing was broken and he was left at a vet's door step in a box. The vet was able to correct the wing to a reasonable degree. I ended up adopting Zippy. He can fly now, but he does get tired quickly and he also has a few feathers that grow at odd angles.

I hope that with a vet check you can get a better idea Peewee's situation. The best outcome is she will get better mobility and even if nothing can be done at least you will have a better idea of what is going on. Peewee is a fortunate bird to have found a situation where she can thrive. Thank you for adopting her :)

DeputyMax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David Mudry
Thanks for everyone's replies.
I called a few avian vets (I live in a major city so luckily there are a few within short driving distance), but I was told to call back after the New Year holiday because the vets are taking some time off. In the meantime Peewee and I are going to enjoy our holidays.
Peewee has become my constant companion, and since she insists on being on my shoulder or at least within eyesight of me, we'll sit back and wait for the vets to return and then make an appointment to visit one of them.
I wish I could post more pictures of Peewee but I don't have a camera or phone, so I'll have to wait for my daughter to come over and help me like she did with the other pics I posted.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Sam has a wing that was broken when he was younger, it never healed quite right as he probably wasn't taken to a vet soon enough. For him, because he's an adult and can be fragile given his history, the vet told me that surgery would be too risky and he didn't appear to be in discomfort. He'll never be able to fly but he climbs actively all around. Even if your girl can't get her wing mended, she can live a happy life. I wish my boy could fly but he can't, so we make the best of it.

Hopefully the vet can help you with Peewee! Keep us updated!

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
How's little PeeWee doing? :smileflower:
Thanks for everyone's replies.
I called a few avian vets (I live in a major city so luckily there are a few within short driving distance), but I was told to call back after the New Year holiday because the vets are taking some time off. In the meantime Peewee and I are going to enjoy our holidays.
Peewee has become my constant companion, and since she insists on being on my shoulder or at least within eyesight of me, we'll sit back and wait for the vets to return and then make an appointment to visit one of them.
I wish I could post more pictures of Peewee but I don't have a camera or phone, so I'll have to wait for my daughter to come over and help me like she did with the other pics I posted.

DeputyMax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David Mudry
Sorry I didn't get back, but in all honesty I forgot about my post.
Peewee got in to see the vet and she confirmed my suspicions. The injury was an old one and had healed over when I got her and the vet recommended I let Peewee be since she is not in pain and has accustomed to her life as it is now.
If you don't mind, I'd like to say a few things about Peewee.
When I got Peewee I wasn't looking for a cockatiel. I thought maybe a couple budgies or finches would be nice but no thought about a cockatiel.
My wife told me she knew a lady with a cockatiel that needed a home so I said OK.
It took me about 5 minutes to see Peewee was a special bird and she became my best friend immediately.
Whenever I have to leave Peewee alone so I can go to the store or run some errands she begins contact calling me and I feel soooo guilty leaving her. I've thought about getting her a friend, but I'm afraid there might be problems with her getting along with another bird so for the time being I'm resisting the temptation.
I feel lucky to have gotten Peewee and do the best I can to make her comfortable and happy. She's out of her cage all day from the time she calls me to uncover her cage in the morning until I put her back in for the night except when she gets 3 or 4 hours outdoors everyday (which she seems to enjoy) and when I have to leave the house. When she's outdoors I stay with her and read or work in the garden.
I kind of feel like I was sent by fate to Peewee as I'm retired and can give her the time and attention she enjoys. My only regret is that I can't enable her to fly, which is what I'd give anything to be able to do.
Thanks for letting me spout off about Peewee.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Your doing fine by her as it can't be fixed but she's happy and not in pain so that's all you can ask for her. I'm glad she fell into your lap to have a happy life in your flock.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It sounds like Peewee won the jack pot when she met you. She can have a very rich life without flight. It isn't her fault she has this injury. You can give her lots of jungle gym type spaces, with ramps, ropes and such. She will have a blast! The only concern is making sure nothing is too far from the ground, depending on how her mobility is with her wing falling is always something to plan for. Injuring her keel bone can be very serious. If you do have higher areas you could lay out old towels on the floor as a precaution. I personally lay towels out anyway, since they make cleaning up easy. :)

Thank you for sharing your adventures with Peewee. :cloud9: