• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peep keeps laying eggs ...

PDXPalm

Moving in
Real Name
Dave Shafiee
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice. I have an 11 year cockatiel that has laid 1 or 2 eggs every year. This year, we are going on egg 11 in the last 4 weeks. I have tried changing the cage, etc, but I can not stop her from laying eggs.

I have added vitamins to her water and she chews on her cuttlebone daily. She even started to prolapse at times. My vet did not want to do anything until the egg laying finished.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
When she lays an egg, what do you typically do with it?

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
Poor thing. We recently took our cockatiel to the vet for help, and they administered hormones to interrupt the cycle. Going forward, we are making sure she gets a solid 12 hours of total darkness per day— I’ve heard that helps, too. Good luck!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Is her cage in a dark place at night? How many hours of "darkness" does she get?

Where in the cage does she usually lay the eggs? Any new toys or changes to her environment prior to the egg laying?

Does she have access to any caves, coco huts, cuddle huts, nest boxes or other enclosed toys?

PDXPalm

Moving in
Real Name
Dave Shafiee
Is her cage in a dark place at night? How many hours of "darkness" does she get?

Where in the cage does she usually lay the eggs? Any new toys or changes to her environment prior to the egg laying?

Does she have access to any caves, coco huts, cuddle huts, nest boxes or other enclosed toys?
Thanks, Destiny. I did replace all her toys and removed anything she was trying to nest in. I have been keeping her covered in a mostly dark room for the last week for at least 13 hours a night. I am going to move her into a completely dark closet tonight. Thanks for the help.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
It sounds like you are doing everything right. And you have history with this bird, so you know that this pattern of laying is unusual for her. This feels like a medical problem, not normal egg laying to me.

At this point, if the laying continues, I would recommend either going back to your vet immediately or getting a second opinion from a different vet. I don't think you should continue waiting for it to stop indefinitely.

As Jessatiel mentioned, hormone injections can be very helpful for interrupting excessive laying.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it helps... This is generally what I recommend for egg-laying hens. (X-post) :)

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Move the cage to a new location
    • Use a cage grate
    • Get a new cage/Use a different cage
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness (may require as much as 16 hrs for 2 weeks - or try providing the opposite, as little as 8 hrs of sleep)
    • Full Spectrum Lighting/Better Lighting
    • Lower the indoor temperature
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
    • Remove anything that could be taken as a nest
    • Remove anything that could be used as nesting material
    • Don't allow her in any dark place or enclosed area
    • IMPORTANT: save the eggs in the fridge
    • If she lays more than 3-4 eggs, put them back in the cage
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Leave the eggs alone in the cage
    • [Optional] Replace with fake eggs (prevent eggs from breaking)
    • Increase calcium
    • Let hen sit on eggs for 3-4 weeks or until she gets bored of them
    • Once done sitting, toss

Generally speaking, there are triggers to hens laying eggs, and if you can remove the triggers, you may be able to stop the egg laying. Triggers can include toys that she can lay in, a plastic base to a cage, nesting material (i.e. cage bedding), a diet high in protein and fat, too much or not enough light, quality of light, etc. All things that should be considered. Removing the triggers to egg laying should be considered *FIRST* before any drastic measures should be taken. You never know, it could be something simple! :)

PDXPalm

Moving in
Real Name
Dave Shafiee
If it helps... This is generally what I recommend for egg-laying hens. (X-post) :)

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Move the cage to a new location
    • Use a cage grate
    • Get a new cage/Use a different cage
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness (may require as much as 16 hrs for 2 weeks - or try providing the opposite, as little as 8 hrs of sleep)
    • Full Spectrum Lighting/Better Lighting
    • Lower the indoor temperature
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
    • Remove anything that could be taken as a nest
    • Remove anything that could be used as nesting material
    • Don't allow her in any dark place or enclosed area
    • IMPORTANT: save the eggs in the fridge
    • If she lays more than 3-4 eggs, put them back in the cage
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Leave the eggs alone in the cage
    • [Optional] Replace with fake eggs (prevent eggs from breaking)
    • Increase calcium
    • Let hen sit on eggs for 3-4 weeks or until she gets bored of them
    • Once done sitting, toss

Generally speaking, there are triggers to hens laying eggs, and if you can remove the triggers, you may be able to stop the egg laying. Triggers can include toys that she can lay in, a plastic base to a cage, nesting material (i.e. cage bedding), a diet high in protein and fat, too much or not enough light, quality of light, etc. All things that should be considered. Removing the triggers to egg laying should be considered *FIRST* before any drastic measures should be taken. You never know, it could be something simple! :)
Thanks for the help Monica. I have been doing the above and the eggs keep coming. I have an appointment with another vet in the morning and I will post back the plan.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You've tried the increased hours of darkness for 2 weeks? If that didn't work, there's the opposite to try after that- where you give all light. The link talks about it: Little Feathered Buddies hormone control

PDXPalm

Moving in
Real Name
Dave Shafiee
Hi All,

Just an update. The vet decided to give Peep a hormone shot. She laid an egg shortly after the shot. This makes 13 :(

She just sits on the eggs all day. Hopefully this will help :)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Fingers crossed. I hope that does the trick and breaks the cycle.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she stops!

PDXPalm

Moving in
Real Name
Dave Shafiee
Well, just a quick update. Another day, another egg :wideyed:. Also, last night Peep must have gotten spooked in the dark as when I got her up her water and seed dish were upside down and she lost a wing feather. Broke an egg too. I hope she stops soon!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor Peep. I hope she stops soon too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hi All,

Just an update. The vet decided to give Peep a hormone shot. She laid an egg shortly after the shot. This makes 13 :(

She just sits on the eggs all day. Hopefully this will help :)

I can't help but think... that escalated quickly!

Were any other plans discussed to get her to stop laying eggs?

PDXPalm

Moving in
Real Name
Dave Shafiee
Hi Guys, just an update. So far we have been without eggs for a few days. She still sits on them all day and hisses at anyone that walks by :O

She has been on them for almost two weeks now. Any thoughts on how to get her back to normal? I have another vet appointment next week.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
When was the first egg in this clutch laid? She should abandon them three weeks after that date. When my tiel Niko has eggs, I move her nest, which is basically a plate with a paper towel on it, to different spots so she never gets too comfy. For instance I move it to her sleep cage and then back to her day cage. She shares a cage with Cappuccino, who never lets her have too much peace. Sometimes I think shaking things up is a good idea.

PDXPalm

Moving in
Real Name
Dave Shafiee
Hi Everyone, just an update. Peep finally stopped laying eggs and has lost interest in the one's she did lay. She has had two doses of the Lupron, so hopefully that helps. She does have a small prolapse but the vet wants to make sure no more eggs before fixing.

Thanks for everyone's help.